Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sachinas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Avoiding Double Taxation
    Hello

I have lived in the US for the past 7 years on a work visa. I will be moving to India this month and plan to continue working with my company here. My company does not have an office in India. Since I will be rendering services from India, I understand my tax liability is to the Indian Government. But unless I understand it wrong, my company will continue to deduct federal tax at source. How should I claim that back ? Do I need to wait till the end of the year, file the return on 1040NR and claim Foreign Tax Credit (since the effective tax rate in India is more than that in the US) ? Is there any way for my company to not deduct taxes at source in the first place once I move to India ? Any help is appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Based on your information, you should be able to claim the Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555) and also the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116).
    sachinas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2007, 10:09 AM
    Thanks. Is the income my company would be paying me in US $ a foreign income, because I will physically be in India ? Secondly, will the company have to deduct it and then I'll claim it as a refund or is the income "excluded" from withholding too ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Your company will pay you normally and is NOT involved in the claiming of either the Foreign Income Exclusion or the Foreign Tax Credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

How does double taxation of corporate occure

Double Taxation? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was fired from her job and needed money to pay bills. She took a disbursement of her retirement. Upon disbursement they took out almost 20% in taxes before she received anything. Now when we are doing her taxes the tax software is trying to take another 10 to 15% in tax penalties. Isn't...

Double Taxation between USA and India [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident in India and I was a resident alien in USA previously for 6 years and have filed US taxes. Now I am in India, but earning Capital gains and interest income in USA. I am paying taxes in India for my golbal income. Do I have to pay taxes in US for the capital gain and...

Double Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

How does double taxation of corporate income occur.

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

View more questions Search