Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nervous Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Thoughts on installing water hammer arresters
    What is the modern thinking on the necessity of installing water hammer arresters or air cushions in new plumbing for a bathroom and/or kitchen? What is the method for placing them, 1 at each valve or one at the entrance (hot and cold) to cover the whole house? How are they installed as far as how high in the plumbing above the valves (I have seen them appear to be 1 or 2 feet above the faucet branch.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2005, 10:01 PM
    Shock Absorbers
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous
    What is the modern thinking on the necessity of installing water hammer arresters or air cushions in new plumbing for a bathroom and/or kitchen? What is the method fo placing them, 1 at each valve or one at the entrance (hot and cold) to cover the whole house? How are they installed as far as how high in the plumbing above the valves (I have seen them appear to be 1 or 2 feet above the faucet branch.

Thanks
    We have been installing air chambers for over 40 years. You may purchase manufactured air chambers but as a rule we built our own and installed them on all lavatories and kitchen sinks. Just before stubbing out hot and cold we would lay a 1/2" tee on its back and solder in a 12" piece of copper pipe topped off with a permanent cap. As for the "necessity" of installing air chambers our plumbing codes mandate it.

Apr 12, 2005, 07:18 AM
    visualizing the air chamber construction
    Thanks speedball. In order to help me visualize this let me see is I understand the simple construction of this. (I'll use a single, cold water line for a reference) 1) main riser comes up. 2) meets at a 'T' with the 'T' leg facing downward (connecting to the main riser) and the 'T' outlets now facing forward and rearward. 3) the front outlet feeds forward and out for the valve stub, and 4) the rear the gets a short 90* upward angle and then finally the 12" capped pipe creating the air chamber.

If this is not correct where does it go bad?

Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2005, 09:57 AM
    Thanks speedball. In order to help me visualize this let me see is I understand the simple construction of this. (I'll use a single, cold water line for a reference) 1) main riser comes up. 2) meets at a 'T' with the 'T' leg facing downward (connecting to the main riser) and the 'T' outlets now facing forward and rearward. 3) the front outlet feeds forward and out for the valve stub, and 4) the rear the gets a short 90* upward angle and then finally the 12" capped pipe creating the air chamber.

If this is not correct where does it go bad?

Thanks.
    NO! It goes sour at #2. Let me run it for you.

Main riser comes up and meets with a tee at one end. A 12" piece of 1/2" copper is soldered in the top of the tee at the other end and a permanent hard cap is soldered to that. The air chamber to be secured with backing. A piece of 1/2" copper is soldered in to the branch and brought outside the wall line for a stub out. Add a 1/2" X 1/4" compression angle stop and you're ready to run the supplies. You have just stubbed out complete with a air chamber. Regards, Tom

Apr 12, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Got the picture
    Thanks. It's completely clear now and I will put them in place. Two quickies. 1) would you place these on the shower lines as well (as I have seen them drawn this way)
    2) how do these not fill with water?

Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2005, 06:55 PM
    Air Chambers
    Thanks. it's completely clear now and I will put them in place. two quickies. 1) would you place these on the shower lines as well (as I have seen them drawn this way)

Thanks.

You can place them on any fixture you desire. Our code calls for them to be placed on lavatories and kitchen sinks.
    After some years later you will began to hear water hammer. That means they have loaded up with condensate and must be drained and recharged. This is a job any homeowner can do. When that happens just click on back and we'll walk you through recharging your air chambers. Good luck on your remodel, Tom
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2013, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nervous View Post
    Thanks. It's completely clear now and I will put them in place. Two quickies. 1) would you place these on the shower lines as well (as I have seen them drawn this way)

Thanks.
    I would like to learn too how they don't fill with water instead of air. Interested.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2013, 09:59 AM
    Frankiedon.
    This is the second time I've had to call you on answering dead threads this one is seven years old. Please look in the upper right-hand corner of the date before you post. Thanks, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammer/Air Lock Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search