Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    YasminKoolsam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Shared Driveway maintenance and rights
    We have a house that was built in 1929 and have a driveway that we share with our neighbouts. The entrance to the driveway is wide enough for only one car but two cars can be parked at the end of the driveway. The driveway is black topped and we have been paying the bill for the black topping.

Who is responsible for maintaining this shared driveway and who has the right to park on the top?

Yasmin
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Whose property does the driveway actually sit on? Do you have a survey - it will show the property lines.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Hello Yas:

In the absence of a written agreement, you should share expenses, and you have equal rights to park on the top.

You might suggest to your neighbor, that since you're paying their half of the expenses, you think you should be allowed to park on the top. Hopefully, you can work it out without outside intervention.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 08:07 AM
    I would go back to first whose properties the driveway is on by a complete survey. Also you check and see if there is a easment on either deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settling under driveway [ 2 Answers ]

I have an area at the edge of our concrete driveway that has settled So that we can see a 2 inch gap about 5 feet diameter below our Driveway. The concrete is reinforced with steel, but I am concerned About driving over this side of the driveway. Is there a good way to Fill in this area...

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

I made a verbal agreement with someone who was supposed to dump some dirt on my property. I clearly stated that my driveway would only handle the weight of a 1-ton dump truck. I come to find out that this guy used a single axle or 10-ton dump truck to haul this dirt. The weight of the truck...

Asphalting Driveway [ 2 Answers ]

We are looking at asphalting our driveway and have received quotes anywhere from $700 - $2000. The driveway is dirt and some gravel, and the higher quote includes excavation and 10" of gravel, plus 2.5" of asphalt. The cheaper quote is a few inches of gravel (~4") and 2.5" of asphalt, compacted to...

Driveway work [ 1 Answers ]

I live on a gravel road and have a circular gravel driveway. One side of my circle has so much weed coming through, and is considerably lower than the other side of the circle, so I plan to put more gravel on it this week. A friend mentioned that I should consider laying the weed stopper sheets...

View more questions Search