Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Franklin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 06:01 AM
    Bad Reference
    I was going to start on a job on the Monday and on the Thursday my potential employer pulled out, I have since found out that this was from a bad reference from my former employer. Although nothing is in writing he has been boasting to other colleagues that he has messed up my chances big time! I have people who are prepared to give statements for me do I have a case?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Franklin
    do i have a case?
    Hello Dave:

If he lied, you do. If he told the truth, no. See if you can find out what specifically, he said.

excon
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 06:19 AM
    The threat of lawsuits is why I only confirm dates of employment and whether the employee is eligible for rehire.

There are attorney's that work on contingency. Wonder who will have the last laugh?

BTW, was a bad reference warranted?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Whether you have a case depends on the accuracy of what was said. Truth is a defense against libel. So if he lied you have an excellent case. If he didn't you have no case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Yes, if they told just the truth about you, you don't have a case, but if they lied, then you have a case. You can get an attorney to start looking into this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reference list [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys.. I need some help here in writing a references list for a paper I'm writing now... I took data from the following resources and I dono the scientific way in writing them to my reference list : 1- a TV or Radio speech 2- a paper that was discussed in a conference 3- an interview ...

Reference signitures [ 1 Answers ]

hi I live in british columbia canada, I signed a personal loan as a reference signiture in the late nineties. That loan was paid off and I signed as a reference again for the same person. He quit making payments in 2000, the account was sold to a collections agency and they are harassing me and...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Slander or just a bad reference [ 7 Answers ]

Recently I found out the General Manager of a former employer told a potential employer that I was a "trouble maker" and He recommended she "DO NOT HIRE" me. Before she checked with my former employer, this potential employer was very impressed by my qualifications and was talking to me as if I...

Reference books/sources [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to finish a roughed in basement bathroom. Could a kind person direct me to a good reference/how-to book. I have done a few plumbing projects around the house and regard myself quite handy. However, with respect to basement bathroom, I feel like a layperson. Regards, :)

View more questions Search