Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drbali Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Server Not Found
    I have been getting Server Not Found messages in both Firefox 2.0.0.8 and Internet Explorer.

Has anybody found a "solution" for this, since I know it's a problem that's been around for quite a while?
    :cool:
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 02:03 AM
    If it is an ongoing problem, it could be with your server. (The entity that provides your Internet service.) I encounter the same problem from time to time. I just re-load the webpage, and it usually appears with no problem. It has even happened to me while doing things on the website that we are on now.

May 7, 2007, 03:50 AM
    Hi, Clough

Thank you for responding.

I am positive it has nothing to do with my server. I've posted the following in various other forums, but nobody has come forward with a concrete answer:

Neither re-freshing "problem pages" nor re-booting worked for me.
    I tried a whole bunch of things, not necessarily in this order:

Checked network settings
    Checked start-up programmes
    Checked start-up Windows' processes and services
    Used Reg Mechanic to clean my Windows' registry
    Manually checked through the registry and deleted keys for Grisoft AVG (which I don't use anymore), and a few other obsolete entries
    Ran a complete Virus scan using Kaspersky
    Ran Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Ran CCleaner
    Ran Hi-Jack This
    Re-set Windows TCP-IP settings
    Ran msconfig
    Checked the Internet options in my browsers
    Checked my user preferences in Firefox (you do this by typing about:config in the browser address bar)
    Ran Firetune and re-checked my user preferences
    Uninstalled Firefox completely, and re-installed it
    Went through all the stuff above, AGAIN
    Rolled-back my computer to an earlier Windows Restore Point

The last time I did this, the problem was still there! In the end, I kind of gave up and was paranoid to use the internet the next day.

But, seemingly miraculously, everything started to work normally again.
    Now that's got me very confused!

So, while I still don't know exactly what causes this problem, I know that I'm not alone. I also know that it's not something new. What surprises me the most is that I haven't been able to find a sensible "solution" any where.
    :cool:
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

May 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Check the cables, a broken or frayed wire can cause intermittent faults.

May 8, 2007, 01:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Darkclaw
    Check the cables, a broken or frayed wire can cause intermittent faults.
    Thank you for your response, Lord Darkclaw. Much as it's appreciated, I'm certain that's not it ("the problem").

Have you ever heard of the phenomenon called "chip creep"? That's when various things plugged in to your motherboard move slightly because of heat-related expansion/contraction. I checked for that, as well.

Nobody, so far, has been able to come up with a usable explanation for the server not found problem. Even 'though it's been around for at least two or three years. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? (I'm exploring responses on several different forums, with no luck, yet.)

Maybe I should create a REWARD POST, somewhere, and offer a prize for "the solution". I can't believe, for a moment, that no one's found it. Maybe I have, (because it's gone away, for the last few days). The trouble is, with my massive diagnostic attacks upon my system, I'm not sure which, what, or anything, did the trick. Something did.

By the way - are you somehow related to, or involved with, The Black Adder?

Ciao (from Bali)
    :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Server not found [ 1 Answers ]

Foxfire keeps giving me Server not found Message

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

Server not found [ 5 Answers ]

Ever since I downloaded the latest version of Mozilla, I constantly receive the following message: Server not found Firefox can't find the server at www.askmehelpdesk.com. * Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com * ...

Serious server help please [ 7 Answers ]

OK Guys, I'm stuck ! Yep you heard right! OK here's my problem. I have a Compaq Proliant ML370, that is running my main ERP system. I need to upgrade the Database HDD's as I'm getting short on space. As can be seen in the picture there are 6 HDD in the left bank, these are setup as...

Connecting to a server [ 1 Answers ]

Hi; my daughter likes to play NEXUS (is a virtual chat world). But it can not get connect to the server. I already wrote to the thecnical people from that site but they does not what to do. I have a firewall (sygate personnel firewall) and I already allowed the nexus program to go out, I also...

View more questions Search