Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenrae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 11:46 PM
    Least complicated but legal way to add someone to my mortgage deed or title
    I find myself in a tight situation with my house payment & household expenses. My friend has decided to come in on the house with me. The house is in Sun City, Arizona, and I have had it for 6 mo. Our plan is to keep my original prime loan. My friend will reinburse me for half my original downpayment and improvements & I will put her name on the Title or Deed. We will share the normal monthly payment from that point on. Will that arrangement have to be reported to my Loan Company, and is a separate written personal agreement legally binding to our heirs? Is there a better way to do this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Hello karen:

Your bank isn't going to go along. When and if they have to foreclose, they want to be the ONLY ones claiming ownership. Therefore, if you put her on the deed, the bank will call in your loan.

The simplest, and cleanest way to do this, is for you to sell the house to a partnership (made up of you and your friend). The partnership will have to seek its own financing.

If there's a reason NOT to do this, there's another more complicated, yet legal, way to do it by contract. However, you do it, you're going to need the services of a real estate attorney. Otherwise, both you and your friend will be taking great risks.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2007, 06:50 AM
    I agree with excon to a certain extent. But I think you need to talk to your lender. Your lender is NOT going to let the ownership of the property be changed without their permission. However, if it means, making their loan more secure, they may be willing to let your friend be added to the mortgage as well as the deed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Yes taking with the bank (lender) is the first thing, since they hold a lien against the entire property as you as owner, if any part of the property is deeded to someone else ( thus ownership also) the lender will have to be sure that they also have a lien on their share of the property. In some cases this will be no problem, with some lenders they will want a new loan or just will not allow it.

Also remember that unless their name is added to the mortgage, you alone still owe it and also do not have full ownership of the proeprty.

Also you need to have a written contract in place as to what happens if one of you wishes latter to move out, a contract that will state who owes who what and so on, What if in 10 years you want to sell out your part and move, but the other party does not want to, what do you do, all that needs to be spelled out specificly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add name to house deeds but not mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the UK. My partner and I own a house, but at the moment the mortgage is in his name and only his name appears on the house deeds. The reason why the mortgage was not in joint names initially is because I was unemployed at the time of applying. I have contacted several solicitors to...

Is it best to add my name to the deed [ 3 Answers ]

Both my parents' names are listed on the deed. My father is deceased, my mother (82 yrs old) is in a nursing home. Taxes are owed on the property. I & my family presently live in the home, I am in the process of catching up the property taxes. What are the ramifications of having my deceased...

Add Spouse Name to Deed and Title [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NYC and want to add my name to deed and title. Only my husband's name is on mortgage note. What is the best way to do this in NY? Do you suggest I get a real estate attorney. I want to make sure I am protected regardless of the equity distribution laws. Can I add my name to mortgage...

Quitclaim deed complicated [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little confusing... at least to me. My husband and his parents owned a home. The three of them were joint tenants with rights of survivorship. It is my understanding that the three of them (Ruth, Bill, and my husband Jim) all own 1/3 of the property. Ruth passed away the day after...

How much does it cost to add my name to mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

:o I want to put my name on the mortgage for my husbands and I house but I want to know how much its going to cost me

View more questions Search