Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coach78 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
    "U" shaped retaing wall
    I've dug a "U" shaped hole in my backyard that will eventually be used as a lounge/barbecue area. For the most part I will be using an old pressure treated deck for the retaining wall. Here is what I plan to do. 1. Set 4x4's every 4ft
    2. Use 2x4's & 2x6's for the outside of the wall against the soil
    3. Use the old 5/4 deck boards for the inside of the wall
    Here is my question, the gap that is created by the 4x4's between the 2x4's and 2x6's. Should I fill that in will soil or leave it hollow?
    strangeone Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2007, 06:46 PM
    You need to get the lmber off the ground. Use concerete post blocks to add spacing between the deck and ground. If you leave the timber on the ground, moisture and insects will cause the lumber to decay and weeken. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and the can assist in designing a deck (free).
    vaemt Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 06:53 PM
    I can picture what you are wanting to do with your retaining wall but...
    I work for a hardscape design build firm and I would not recommend using treated lumber for your retaining wall. One in time it will rot and you will once again be building a new retaining wall. We use versa-lok for our retaining walls and it is wonderful. It may be more expensive to start with but you will not be replacing it like you will the treated lumber.
    Two, always use stone(57 stone) to back fill behind any retaining wall for safety precautions. If you have gaps between your wall, it will not last. This only allows for wear and tear and your wall has a big chance of collapsing beneath time, erosion and weight pressure.

I hope that this helps and does not hinder your plans! Happy retaining wall building in the future!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Searching for a song "shadows on the wall". [ 1 Answers ]

I want to trace a song I heard in 1977 sung by a female artist I can remember the line "Shadows on the wall" which was a recurring refrain.

Appliance hook-up "wall unit" [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard of a new product that is used for washer/dryer installation. It is a concave "wall" that replaces drywall. The "wall" has appropriate hook-ups for the washer and dryer venting. Purpose of the wall is to make appliances sit closer to the exterior wall, make installation easier and...

View more questions Search