Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crystal2007 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Summon from Collection Agency on Old Credit Card Debt
    I received a copy of a Summons and Complaint in my mail box. It was mailed by first class mail. This Summon is from Asset Acceptance, a debt collector agency. They have bought over my Providian credit card account which has been charged off (with last activity in April 2001 - based on my latest credit report). According the Asset Acceptance, the date of deliquency is 5/14/2001 with a balance owe of $1462.75

I know that I should file an Intend to Defend with the court, based on my reading from the other posts. Is there any sample letter of the Intend to Defend notice that I can reference to write my letter? What do I need to mention in the letter besides my intention to defend on this case? I am located in Michigan and the SOL is 6 years for credit card debt. So, they just file the Summon at the very last minute. Can I used the SOL expired in my defend if I am asked to show up in court?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 03:57 AM
    File notice of intend to defend. AFter that look up Discovery in the court rules and send it to Asset Acceptance, requset the orignial contract you sign, request complete accounting of this alleged account.
    Donald78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I have received a summons to appear in court on an old credit card debt.
    I had started paying this through a credit debt consolidation some years ago. How can I handle this when I go to court.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 7, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Donald78, it would be better to start your own post/question rather than to jump into someone else's post. It makes things confusing. Thanks

May 7, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Thanks Mr. Yet for the advice. How do I look up discovery in the court rules? This might be a silly question, but I am totally clueless. So, am I suppose to send a Motion for Discovery to Asset Acceptance? How do I write this?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
    If you got a llittle money to spend (less than $100) there is a good resource of lawyers that will help you with these letters.

Legaladviceline.com

Jun 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
    I got a letter from the court for the court date. How do I file for Motion for Discovery before the court date?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send...

I got a summon at my door for an unpaid credit card. [ 4 Answers ]

I got a summon at my door from a lawyer and it said I have to appear in court in 20 days. I went to court and they told me I have to call the law firm first. They want to collect a debt for Chase for $6839. I owed $5400, I guess the interest kept growing for the last 3 years. How should I approach...

Credict Card Debt and Collection Agency [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I have a situation that I was hoping for some advice on. Back in 1997 I opened a credit card and stopped using it in 2000 with a zero balance. To my recollection, I did not close that account. I moved several times afterwards. In 2002, I received a letter from a collection...

Onr credit card collection agency can have multiple accounts? [ 1 Answers ]

LVNN Funding LLC RE: old Gateway account in 1999 for $1100 (however paid on it in 2001) sent me a judgement letter for $3500 saying they were going to garnish my wages, so I called them and made a settlement for $1400. A few days later, I received a 30 day notification form from LVNV Funding...

View more questions Search