Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Don't want to attend grad night
    I recently got a high school graduation invitation for my niece. I don't want to attend for several reasons. I don't like to fly and they live a couple states away, I don't like my sister's in-laws, and my sister and I have a strained relationship. She attended my daughter's graduation last year and I feel the only reason she did it was to make me feel obligated to go to her daughters. I would like to just send a card/$$ and explain that I am not able to make it. I think my sister would be upset although I know my niece wouldn't care one way or the other. I know this would cause a bigger riff between us. I just don't know what to do.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 11:58 AM
    I think, if your niece will understand then she is the only one that matters here. Just give her a sweet card and if you want put money in it, you don't have to explain the whole situation to her. Good luck. Aren't you so proud of her? Woo Hoo! She did it!
    Spider-Girl Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Yea, I think as long as you have the courtesy to give her a card she should be fine. I'm graduating tonight and I'm soooo excited. I can't believe it came so fast.:D -Spidey
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
    No, you do not owe anyone your attendance at a graduation. If you do not want to go, then stay home. But please acknowledge your niece's achievements (I think you would) as her graduation has nothing to do with your sister.

No sense in going and making yourself miserable and perhaps that spilling over to affect others.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Send the card and gift, with a simple "I am so proud of you. Congrats!" or similar. You are under no obligation to explain your non-attendance.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2007, 02:12 PM
    I got an invitation to my cousin's grad. And I guarantee they don't expect me to show up. It is more of an announcement, in my opinion. We will send a gift with a card.
    Since this is your sister's child - just explain before hand to your sister. Then send your gift.
    It should not be a big deal... hopefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you attend school for when you have a felony [ 7 Answers ]

What do you attend school for when you have a felony conviction?

Grad. Announcement Etiquette [ 2 Answers ]

Is is proper to send a graduation announcement to a member of the same graduating class at a different school? Any advice would be helpful as I need to send my announcements in the next 2-3 weeks.

Future Grad school on resume? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm attending a career fair next week at my undergraduate institute(I'm a senior right now). I know that in September, I will be attending graduate school at another college to get my Master's. Should I put that on my resume? If so, what should it look like? Right now, the education part of my...

Grad school after OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Firstly, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am an undergraduate student with Indian citizenship in my senior year. I will be receiving a BA in computer science in May of this year. I have a few questions. After graduating in May of 2007, I will start my 12 month OPT...

View more questions Search