Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isnoozin Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Can my landlord collect double rent
    My lease expires the end of this month, but we are leaving the 13th. Are we entitled to some of that rent back if they rent it before the end of the month? Also, how many days notice do you have to give to vacate in So carolina if your lease is up anyhow?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Hello is:

In the unlikely event that your landlord CAN rent it by the 1st, then yes, you're entitled to a pro-rated refund. However, in the real world, that's not going to happen, is it? He's going to clean it up, advertise and interview people. Certainly, that's going to take a couple weeks. No?

Depending on how your lease was worded, you needed to, at least, have given them 30 days written notice and maybe 60.

To avoid further problems with your deposit, clean well, take pictures and invite the landlord to do a walkthrough.

excon
    isnoozin Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello is:

In the unlikely event that your landlord CAN rent it by the 1st, then yes, you're entitled to a pro-rated refund. However, in the real world, that's not going to happen, is it? He's going to clean it up, advertise and interview people. Certainly, that's going to take a couple weeks. No?

Depending on how your lease was worded, you needed to, at least, have given them 30 days written notice and maybe 60.

To avoid further problems with your deposit, clean well, take pictures and invite the landlord to do a walkthrough.

excon

Thank you! My landlord already has a tenant and usually their turn time around to get the apartment ready is 3 days.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 08:14 AM
    3 days, wow, he must have a team of people cleaning and painting that one.

But I will be honest, don't except him to just hand it over unless that is his common practice, and since you ask, I bet you have a reason to doubt or you would not have asked the question here.
    Since he does have a renter already lined up, that means you gave them proper notice and the such, but remember if he refuses you will still have to take him to court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Can a landlord refuse to prorate rent? [ 4 Answers ]

I have asked my landlord for an extra five days to move out. They are refusing, stating that I have to pay the full month's rent if I stay those extra days. My apartment has not been rented to anyone else as of yet. Is this legal??

Landlord is selling house; 10 mo remaining to Rent [ 2 Answers ]

Landlord is selling house; 10 months remaining on a 2 year Rental/lease agreement. If he sells the home, do I have any reprocussions? Is it possible for the Land lord to pay for a local move (San Diego)?

Landlord will not return prepaid rent in CA [ 1 Answers ]

I relocated to CA and signed a lease from out-of-state. The lease ran six-months and then automatically converted to month-to-month. On Feb 7, my landlord gave notice that rent would increase effective Mar 7. We elected to move out and gave notice (the only condition the lease specified for...

Landlord trying to re-rent at higher price [ 8 Answers ]

We are currently trying to get out of our lease in WA. Our landlord told us that she will try to re-rent it but till then we are fully liable. I am fine with that but the landlord now tries to re-rent the unit for a lot more than we pay. We rented it 4 months ago for $1300 and she now...

View more questions Search