Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fix-what-you-broke Posts: 305, Reputation: 61

May 6, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Annoying dry skin.
    I have dry skin, and it is really bothering me now.
    I have tried a lot of different skin care products over my time and nothing at all seems to work for me.
    As I am from the UK and some of you are not I don't know if it is worth mentioning some of the products, but here goes, I got aquious cream from my doctor.. basically takes the place of soap, I have tried dry skin creams such as e45, clearasil etc. got rid of scented soap, and got unperfumed one instead, even tried the face wipes.
    The dry skin is on my forehead (not bad at all), the rest of it is around my eyebrows, it basically becomes flakey and I hate it.
    The doctor doesn't help, and doesn't know what else to recommend, and I am at a loss.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Sometimes you only compound the problem with different products and dry skin is nothing tol kid about or fool around with. The skin around the area can become red and irritated then infected. However, you would have said if this was the case with your dry skin area. Please tell what you have been using as most are available in Canada as well as UK.

I don't know why you used clearasil, that is quite drying, my clients have not had success with any product that takes the place of soap, so I know of them, scented soap wouldn't be a good choice either.

I would suggest Uremol which is a very good medicated lotion and I think you will find it in UK, if not over the counter maybe you can get doctor to prescrible it. It is available with hydrocortisone, but I know for sure with this additive it is prescription only. Good luck.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 6, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The skin on your face is fragile and thinner than the rest of your body, so I do not recommend using creams such as Uremol or any medicated creams on your face because it could inflame or irritate it.

If you have dry skin on your face, you should exfoliate your skin once a week with a mild facial scrub. After you wash your face, apply a moisturizer twice a day. But if your skin doesn't improve, consult a another dermatologist. He/he may be able to prescribe a treatment that is right for your skin problem.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 6, 2007, 11:13 AM
    My recommendation of Uremol is based on pharmeautical information and dedicated client usage. Here is a bit of information, or you can visit any of the Uremol websites for more indepth coverage:

Find a moisturizer that locks in water effectively for you. If you're not sure, ask your pharmacist for a recommendation. It's not always true that the most expensive products provide the best results. And if you have damaged, cracked or reddened skin, look for extra ingredients that can really make a difference, like the urea in Uremol. Products like Uremol replenish, soften and protect the skin. All these tactics can reduce skin damage, especially in fall and winter.
    - News Canada
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

May 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
    I know you're probably sick of spending money on products that probably don't work, I know, I've been there! I, too had dry skin and nothing would help, and throughout the day I would get really flaky skin on my face. Then I discovered Clinique. It is amazing stuff, it really is. You should try the 3 step system that has cleanser, clarifying lotion, and then moisturizing lotion. Your skin would be a type one I'm guessing. I really think you should look into it.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 6, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    My recommendation of Uremol is based on pharmeautical information and dedicated client useage. Here is a bit of information, or you can visit any of the Uremol websites for more indepth coverage:

Find a moisturizer that locks in water effectively for you. If you're not sure, ask your pharmacist for a recommendation. It's not always true that the most expensive products provide the best results. And if you have damaged, cracked or reddened skin, look for extra ingredients that can really make a difference, like the urea in Uremol. Products like Uremol replenish, soften and protect the skin. All these tactics can reduce skin damage, especially in fall and winter.
    - News Canada
    Uremol is used to treat skin conditions. Side effects can occur from using this medication, such as skin thinning, skin irritation, acne and other infections. You don't know the topic starter's history or if he/she is allergic to hydrocortisone, so you shouldn't recommend a medicated treatment to this member. What's right or has worked for one person may not be what's right for others. If the topic starter's skin doesn't respond to moisturizers, it would be best if he/she consult a dermatologist for a proper treatment.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Fix-it, you have received some very good advice here. Not to minimize anyone's response, but Pretty Lady is correct about what she is saying. I suffer from the same problem. I also have very sensitive skin. You need to stay away from any products that are alcohol based. Very drying effect. Any acne medications also dry your skin. So, since have specific issues, you need to see a dermatologist, as PL advises.

Regarding soaps, stay away from all deodorant soaps. You need a soap that has a moisturizing base to it, such as Dove or Caress. Regarding lotions, ugh. So hard. Every year, as I get older, I have to switch up during the fall/winter/early spring months. You need to use a different moisturizer for your face than for your body. Everyone is different and what may work for me, might not work for you. A good dermatologist can help you with these issues. They deal with this all the time. Any cosmetic counter person will tell you their product is best. Don't spend a ton of money to find out they are wrong. Do what PL advises. I will tell you that for myself, in the warmer weather I use Oil of Olay with SPF 15 for sensitive skin. During the cooler months, I need something heavier. During the cooler months, certain areas of my body crack from the dryness. You need to find a body lotion that is specifically made for very dry and flaky skin. But again, that is what I do, and it may not be right for you. The dermatologist can help you with that. You might as well put your money toward a doctor who knows what you need, rather than the alternative of spending hundreds of dollars testing products you will only throw away later.
    tjj2320 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I have very sensitive skin and break out in a rash even using baby products, I've tried many different products and went to the dermo for prescriptions as well nothing works except for Ponds daily moisturizer... it's the blue lid. Try that and let me know what you think.
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

May 7, 2007, 01:03 PM
    I have very very sensitive skin too, so I have to avoilda lot of products. I don't know if you have tried this yet, but when my son was a baby and suffered rfrom exzema my dr suggested using Goats Milk Cream and it was wonderful. Its very soothing and worked a treat for him. I use it too when I get the odd patch of dry skin and it is wonderful. Also it doesn't have the chemicals in it that other products can have. Good luck.
    olagirl Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
    If your on a tight budget you can use dove unscented bars because they don't dry out the skin

U could use HT26 lotion again they are unscented and amazing
    And if its still so bad try shea butter the unrefined ones it is stinky but it will relieve your dry skin

Get shea butter from an african market or flea market you can mask the smell with essential oils if the smell is too bad for u
    diya Posts: 303, Reputation: 62

May 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Guess what I am going to tell you as you're from UK and I've spent years in UK... I found a brilliant dry skin product which has no side effects and absolutely great... go to Boots.. ask look for Glycerin and Rosewater transparent liquid bottle(not the lotion or cream)... u will not have to look any further... Sad that in the US this is not available, but since you're in UK and this Boots product... you'll be better off with such a brilliant reasonable product. I too have an extreme dry skin and ever since I've started using it, my skin feels better.. Try it and let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dry sensitive skin.. Help! [ 10 Answers ]

I have really really sensitive and dry skin.I use vitamin e oil as a moisturizer,but sometimes I just want a cream that lasts at least 8 hours,but I have not found that yet.Any suggestions?! (not to mention that I have eczema too!)

Dry skin [ 1 Answers ]

What can be done, for extremely dry skin, on my husbands legs? He has tried baby oil, but that isn't helping. His legs are sore, and red, with a rash.

Dry Skin! [ 5 Answers ]

My skin is SO dry. I can put moisturizer and moisturizer and it will never be moisturized, it always is very dry and flaky. Plus, I have a pale and uneven complexion so I like to wear foundation to even it out. I can never find a good foundation that will work well with my dry skin. It always...

Icky, dry skin? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, quick question. On weekdays, when I take a shower early in the morning, sometimes I get out and my skin feels incredibly dry and just gross. Lotions or anything don't do anything at all. But when I shower on weekends at a different time, I'm fine. I can't stand skipping a day without a...

Dry Skin [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older female Dachsund and her skin tends to get extremely dry. What product would work to help keep her skin normal or what product should she take to help this problem. :)

View more questions Search