Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    houstonSay Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 05:50 PM
    F1 to H1 for Pakistani student
    Hi,
    Thanks a lot for helping us. I have few question. :)

I am from Paskistan.

I was on F-1 from 2002 to OCT-2004 Then converted to H-1
    In 2003, I filled the 1040NR-EZ and got my returns back. This year (2004) can I file 1040NR-EZ?

I left USA to visit my country for one month (30 days). Should I subtract that time from F-1 Time? Or F1+H1 time.

What should I write in date of Entered in USA. Last date when I entered in USA. Or first time I entered in USA?

Thanks In advance for your reply. You might already reply for most of the question. I really appreciate your time and efforts.

Best Regards
    Joji :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2005, 09:39 PM
    Joji:

How much income did you earn? If your income was very low (below $8,100), you can file Form 1040NR-EZ and debit your income by the $5,000 exemption allowed in the tgax treaty. That will get all of your withheld taxes back as a refund.

On question E of page 2 of Form 1040NR, put the date you first entered the United States.

The other dates are accounted for on Question G.

On question H, debit your entry for 2004 by the 30 days you were out of country.

Apr 9, 2005, 11:03 PM
    Thanks for your reply
    Thank you sooooo much for your prompt reply :) :)

Q) I earned over 25K $ for 2004. So I should apply 1040NR?
    Q) My existing employer mistakenly deducted MO state Tax, Since I moved from MO to TX, but that tax is only about 65$. So should I apply for MO tax?

Once again thanks for your kind help.

Best regards
    Joji
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2005, 05:09 AM
    Joji:

No, you can use the Form 1040NR-EZ, since you reduce your wage income by $5,000 before entering it on the Form 1040NR-EZ (instead of claiming a standard deduction).

Download a Missouri tax form and file it to request the refund. It's your money! Why let Missouri keep it?

Apr 10, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Thanks and one naïve question
    Thank you so much.. :)

Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert you are AWESOME :)

As I am qualified for 1040NR and I filled out both forms 1040NR-EZ and 1040 to check.

1) Can I claim qualified education expenses? Because I pay the loan of 5400 and also paid around 250$ of interest.

If I add 5400 as qualified education expenses in 1040, I am getting 800$ more. Is it okay to add "qualified education expensis" because Turbo tax allowed it to add.

Thanks in advance for your kind help

Regards
    JOJI
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2005, 07:35 AM
    Joji:

You can file either as a non-resident alien, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or, under the First Year Choice, you can file as a resident alien, filing Form 1040/1040A.

If you file as a nonresident alien, you can deduct the $250 in interest paid on your student loans. However, you cannot claim any education credit or deduction for the tuition you paid.

If you file as a resident alien, you can deduct the $250 in interest paid on your student loans, and claim the education credit or deduction for the tuition you paid. You will not be held liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes for the period you were under the F-1 visa.
    bhrasheed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 08:16 PM

I think this is wrong, there is no treaty exempt income here, for the reasons before. If I am incorrect, please let me know as I'm trying to determine this question for myself as well...

If you are in the United States on an F, J, M or Q visa, you are considered engaged in business in the United States. That means any U.S. source income that is taxable to you in connection with your scholarly activities, such as wages or scholarship and fellowship grants, is included in this category.

Following the 1986 Tax Reform Act, only qualified scholarship and fellowship grants - tuition and required fees,
    Books, supplies, and equipment - are exempt from tax. All other grants are taxable but not subject
    To withholding or reporting for U.S. citizens and residents. Taxable grants of nonresidents are
    Subject generally to 14 percent withholding and reporting on Form 1042-S.
    bhrasheed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2011, 08:16 PM
    Comment on bhrasheed's post
    For the reasons below, I meant...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 student taxas [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in US as an F1 student for more than 5 years. I tried using CINTAX tax service through my international office website but for some reason the system is not allowing me to file my taxes suing that software. I have been able to file my taxes using the same software in the past. Please let me...

F-1 student tax [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I have a question. Im an F-1 student. I graduated in May 2005. I have been working on OPT since June all the way until the end of the year. That makes me qualified to file tax as a non-resident. Ok I earned an amount of 4200 on W-2 (not on H-1, its F-1)with federal tax 225 and state...

F1 student on CPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I am working on CPT and my earnings from this job is just below 10,000$ and about 1000$ from school in the year 2005. I am an indian student.My employer didn't deduct any taxes from my internship but my school did deduct some money. My question is am I eligible for taxes because last year...

F1 student on OPT with dependent [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I am an Indian student who was on OPT for whole of 2005. I am married but have not claimed my spouse as dependent till now. When I file my returns this year, can I claim her as a dependent? She does not have SSN, so should I apply for an ITIN before filing my return. Since I am from India...

F1 student Tax problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR-EZ as F1 student for 2004. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I did not receive Form 1042S Form. I DONOT have Teaching or Research Assitantship or Fellowship or Scholarship. My position is just a wage payroll position as programmer on campus(in a...

View more questions Search