Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fendercrash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Modem hear-say
    I'm fairly computer savy but, a co-worker of my wife says a guy changed their dial-up modem out, and now their speed has increased. I told her I don't think it would work.
    All I a m able to get is an average 21.6Kbps on my dial up. Sometimes I can get 26.
    I have a V.92 56k. But have never been able to get 56 out of it. Could someone please
    Clear this up for me. Cause I am so freakin tired of 21.6Kbps. I think it is the phone co.
    But I am proably wrong. I'll take any help I can get on this issue. You can email me if you want.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
    It very well could be the phone company. When a lot of people are online at one time, that can slow things up. Your server may also have something to do with being slow. My connection speed to my server can vary greatly.

You also might want to get a new modem if yours is getting old.

I also have a 56K modem. Has never run at 56K. During the past several months, the speed has increased significantly. Now, can run at the most 45K. I think that they must have changed something at the server.

There are others on this site who I am sure will give additional and maybe better advise. I also, consider myself to be pretty computer savvy, but not an expert.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

May 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
    It's worth a few dollars for a faster connection.
    If nothing else you can watch you tube, and use limewire like crazy.
    SoopaDuck Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

May 6, 2007, 01:37 AM
    More than likely, the cause of your slow dial-up speed is the condition of your telephone line. It could also be that the modem that is on the other end is set to run at a lower speed than yours is.

I know that the phone company(ies) have been doing a lot of work to improve the quality of the existing telephone lines so that they can deliver broadband services. This could explain why Clough has seen improved speeds over the past few months.

My honest opinion is that dial-up internet service, even at 56K, is too slow for most current Internet applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hear noises [ 9 Answers ]

My name is JC and I just moved into a house and I have been finding a lot of problems with various items but now it is the plumbing. I hear noises in the kitchen drain when the washing machine running. I noticed the washing machine is on the same drain line as the sink. Is there a way to stop...

Can't hear music [ 1 Answers ]

My mother keeps asking me a question about email that I just can't seem to answer. She sends emails with multimedia with in it such as music and pictures with poems and such. She sends these things to her sister and her sister reports that she gets pictures but can never get any music to play from...

I can't hear any sound! [ 1 Answers ]

I recently accidenlty re-installed xp(just an update though, so all my files and stuff are still on it) on my PC, since I've done this everything is working fine except the sound, I can't seem to hear anything, and I've checked all the devices and stuff and they are all working fine, can any body...

View more questions Search