Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harmsway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Power to garage
    I am currently looking to run electrical to my garage. I live in Minneapolis, Mn. I have heard numerous ways in which to accomplish this but thought I would ask hear for some further advise? I would also like to put in two outside outlets with boxes and possibly lighting above the boxes in the future. Please help.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 07:17 PM
    If you have 2 lights, they might need switch, this is where you might run Feed from panel.
    If romex is used, go from switch to lite then to other lite.
    Then Switch box to first recpticle then 2nd recpticle. Put GFI in first recpticle and regular recpticle in second.
    If conduit(metal, PVC , ENT(Smurf)is used. Basically. Just connect with least amount of pipe, You would't want to pipe, where you are pulling the load of GFI through both lights.
    Use 2 Gang, You may need switch for inside or recpticle. Deep Boxes don't hurt.
    Don't use Cut In boxes, unless you have to.
    What material is garage? Concrete, wood and plaster have their method.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 08:45 PM
    In addition to the above, good answer, I added electricity to my garage a number of years ago. Since I needed to use my garage as a workshop, I wanted a lot of outlets and lights out there. I added a separate breaker box in the garage running Romex from the main breaker box in my home. It wasn't hard for me to do. But, it did take a lot of work.

Two things that really helped me was to purchase a book on electrical/wiring and a book on the correct way to install things to code in my vicinity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't start, no click and no power to radio, power window or locks [ 6 Answers ]

After installing a new starter on a 1999 2WD Explorer it will not start. There is no click when trying to start it, its just dead, and the radio, power locks/windows, a/c, and dash light don't work but the interior lights work and so do the headlights. We've had the starter checked to make sure...

Power to Garage, series of questions [ 1 Answers ]

Searched, learned quite a bit. Here's my specific case: Run from the main box to detached garage ~30ft The garage is pretty small (20x20), and pretty old (~1920) with unfinished interior walls and somewhat deteriorated clapboard siding In the garage I'm planning on the following:...

Garage Heater [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ceiling mounted heater, 5000 watt, 220 volt with a heater mounted thermostat. I am interested in changing to a wall mounted 24 volt programmable thermostat. How do I accomplish this?

My garage [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is alex and I'm trying to make my garage into my new bedroom the garage is small made to sit one car. Im now trying to insulate the garage and I want to block off the door. What do I do about the gaps around the garage door? From there I am going to put a frame on the wall then put...

Lost power to garage door - including remote [ 4 Answers ]

My garage door seems to have lost power somewhere. I don't have power from my remote in the garage, the keypad on the garage door, or either car remotes. I know I have power in the plug-in that it is connected to, but can't seem to figure out the problem - could a battery be out somewhere and...

View more questions Search