Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rahul_chaubey Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

May 5, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Electricity related
    Can any body tellme what is difference between 2-PHASE and 3-PHAE connection of electricity
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 8, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Quick tutorial:

2-phase electrical circuits have 2 wires, where the voltage on the wires is 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The 220-volt service to a house is this type. Each wire carries 110 volt A/C (relative to earth), and because they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other the voltage reative to each other is twice 110, or 220 volt.

3 phase uses 3 wires, where the voltage on any one wire is +/- 120 degrees out of phase with the other two. This is typically used in the distribution network by the power companies and commercial/industrial electrical wiring. Ever notice that high-voltage transmission lines always have increnments of 3 wires on the tower? That's because each wire carries one of 3 phases of the voltage.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 9, 2007, 02:42 AM
    Sorry to correct ebaines, but a household service is still a single phase, not a two phase. It sometimes is called a split phase, since the neutral is a center tap on a single phase transformer.

To learn of the rare, now almost obsolete, two phase system see:2 Phase Power Systems and Two-Phase Electric Solutions
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 09:20 AM
    In addition to tkrussel's post.
    Single Phase used mostly residential and three phase for commercial or industrial for
    Efficiency of motors and compressors.
    If interested: revesing 2 wires on single phase motor will not change direction, (has to be done with motor tap wires)That would
    Be DC motor that reverses by changing polarity.
    Three phase motor can be reversed by switching any two of three wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much electricity does a house need? [ 11 Answers ]

How much electricity does it take to power a house with all of the modern conveniences? I am building a rural home and would like to consider alternative power sources. To have AC, heat, a refrigerator, TV, and all of the things we use on a daily basis. What sort of ampage /voltage/wattage does a...

Electricity Consumption [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was on holidays and surprised to see our electricity bill. My wife told me that mostly our bills are double to the bills of our neighbours and relatives. We are getting bills of double the amount of many of our neighbours and relatives who are using the same number of lights and...

Disconnecting electricity [ 2 Answers ]

I am gutting my kitchen in preparation for a remodel project being performed by a contractor. I need to know how to safely disconnect some hardwired electrical connections

Electricity in aircraft [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: One of the characteristiscs of the electric current used in major aircraft is its frequency: 400+/- 10 Hz. What happens if I connect any device that uses 60 Hz like cellphones battery chargersk? Is this bad for the component?

Current electricity [ 1 Answers ]

Why metal conduct electricity rather than a wood?THANK YOU!

View more questions Search