Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Algonquinzach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Hobby needed apply within
    Hello,

My father is retired and is in need of a hobby. He sufers from Alzheimers. His eyesight is poor. He was an avid golfer and now is going stir crazy because he can no longer play. Any suggestion would be great. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 4, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I'd suggest he play some board games. My favorite board game is chess. So, he can take up chess-playing as a hobby.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 4, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Ouch, I'm so sorry! I totally misread your question. I ignored the fact that his eyesight is poor. I'm stuck. I can't think of any hobbies. I might think of one in a few days...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
    I have a good friend that is blind, he still does some goft ( OK not good at it but still plays) he even does yard dart. But you have fishing, gardening, doing yard sales or flea markets.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 11:06 PM
    I am well acquainted with the dementia connected with Alzheimer's and what you and he are going through because my mother had it for a number of years before she died. I also have worked in a nursing center where there were a number of residents who had Alzheimer's. My heart goes out to you!

I keep racking my brain for something that your father might be able to do in spite of bad eyesight. Maybe there are some books on tape that concern golfing?

Does he have any other interests?
    Algonquinzach Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Thanks for all of the great responses. Golf just isn't an option. He can no longer play physically because his motor skills have diminished. We have tried potting plants and things like that. We have had some sauces with playing trivial pursuit as long as the material is from the 80's backward. Unfortunately this does not hold his interest long. I guess we are looking for simple short activities. He paints with my three year old and does some stuff with her. But even she is aware that he has a problem. He likes going for rides but falls asleep unless you keep hm engaged in conversation. Again any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Oh I so understand what you are going through. My Father in Law had Dementia/Alzheimers. Oh my the very long days and nights. Let your love for him get you through. Pops was a handful and then some. Here's a little funny, although my Mom in law didn't think so.

My husband and I walked in to my Mother-in-laws house and she said to us, Do you know what your Father just said to me!! "He said the visit was nice, but he has to get back to his wife and not to worry, we can keep this visit between us, it will be our secret. " She was not a happy camper after 50 years of marriage that he would forget her. It is a trying disease, but if you just focus on the person who they are right at this minute, and love this "new" person, it will make the ride a little easier.

Okay, hobbies. I know that animals can be very theraputic. Maybe there is an organization nearby that either brings animals to the home or perhaps there is an organization that caters to Seniors for like a day care type setting that brings animals in for therapy, for both the animal and the adult. Not to say that Dad would have to stay all day, but just a couple of hours.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

May 16, 2007, 06:31 AM
    I am guessing his eye sight isn't bad enough not to watch say television? This is coming from a geek so I know how entertaining it can be but this might be to out there for an older person that didn't grow up with it. Anime, there are SO many different genres out there that everyone can be happy and find some they like; once you get into it like I have, you start to like all kinds and watch more then just one genre. Another thing that could stem off this is learning another language. Perhaps with his motor skills demishing though this might not be a good idea. Off the anime idea, maybe video games could keep him intertained. They also vary to everyone's taste; of course you probably know this though but maybe these routes will make him enjoy himself a little more. It seems kind of funny to me trying to help me pursue this ally, but who knows it might just click.

*EDIT* Oh there is one more thing. Someone said chess earlier but then later said he didn't think about the eye sight part. From what I have read it seems he can do this though. There is a game called GO that is "kinda" similar to chess but its simple to learn so anyone can start playing but at the same time when you get indepth with it VERY complex. People play this around the world like chess so maybe you should try to get involved with this maybe too.

You could try art too. There are many different forms of art he could participate in ranging from painting, drawing, manga drawing (make his own story while drawing his characters), all the way to graphic arts. Who knows, he could become famous. No one knows if you're good at something until you try it ;).
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2007, 07:21 AM
    My sister got my grandmother who suffered from dementia/Alzheimer's a playful little pug that she got from a rescue group and the little guy gave my grandmother a lot of comfort in the years before her death.

Maybe a small dog that likes to play ball and/or sit in his lap might interest him. There are lots of adult dogs that need homes and would love to keep your father company. I would recommend an adult dog simply because they are more settled and their personalities are known.
    bigdreamer85 Posts: 44, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
    I don't know how bad his eye site is or how far/bad the alzheimers is, but they say scrapbooking is a good thing for alzheimer patients. It helps them remember little things... sometimes it's the little things they miss the most...

I'd also suggest books on tape.. let him get lost in the stories. My ex's grandmother suffered from this horrible disease and she really liked those.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Anything that will keep his mind active will really help him out! I really love the idea of getting him a small pet, maybe even fish like a beta or something that require no filter and such. He would probably enjoy visiting different places such as museums, battle sites, aquariums, etc. My great grand father use to LOVE doing activities like this. Would he be able to take pottery classes with you or a grandchild?
    crazymomjulie Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2007, 08:42 AM
    If possible why not try one of the video games of golfing? This way he can still enjoy something he loved to do while helping the time pass a little easier. They have simplified versions so that it shouldn't be to difficult to learn and maybe hold his interest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a hobby [ 13 Answers ]

I am trying to find a hobby. I have never really had any hobbies in my adult life and I am now trying to find one. I don't know how to even start. I am looking for any help on how to find something that interests me.

Need passion, need a hobby [ 25 Answers ]

I really do wish I had some hobbies but I've never become enthralled in something. Ever since I was young I just wasted my spare time with video games :o It's a bit sad really, there isn't anything I'm really passionate about. I just go out and drink beer and see mates in the meantime. I don't...

How to find the right hobby. [ 5 Answers ]

It may seem odd, but I seem to be stuck at this point in my life. But, here I am. I am married, with children and I also attend the University part time. It seems like most of my life centers around responsibilities. I gotten so involved in taking care of my kids, my house, my husband and school...

How to help someone find a hobby? [ 25 Answers ]

I'd like to help my girlfriend find herself a hobby. We've talked about it, I asked her to explain to me what makes her happy in her life, and I've come to a conclusion that the only hobby she's really interested in is watching television. Now I know that's, first of all, not healthy. She can...

Hobby Suggestions [ 17 Answers ]

I have a brainstorm for you AMHD persons. I need a hobby :D This is what I like, my cats, my dog, my rabbit, I like to read (when I am not cleaning, working 8-5, or laundry.) I feel I would be a more happy person if I had a hobby. I live on an acreage, which I moved to for my husband. I...

View more questions Search