Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariaparsons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 01:48 PM
    What is recommended a lot is to take your hamster in its' cage into your bathtub and open the door to let it walk out. This way you are not yet trying to hold it so it will earn your trust. Take a few treats or food in there and feed them some, stroke them and speak gently. Why it is better in the bath is so the hamster cannot escape (unless it is an excellent jumper!) do this regularly until the hamster gets used to your scent and voice, and earns your trust. Then, when you are ready, put your hands together and put a treat in the middle, this way the hamster will climb into your hands to get the treat. If it does not, it is not yet comfortable with you so keep trying till it is. Then gently cup one hand over its back, do not squeeze it as hamsters find this stressful, which may lead to biting.
    Hope this helps! :)
    mariandjoey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 01:50 PM
    What is recommended a lot is to take your hamster in its' cage into your bathtub and open the door to let it walk out. This way you are not yet trying to hold it so it will earn your trust. Take a few treats or food in there and feed them some, stroke them and speak gently. Why it is better in the bath is so the hamster cannot escape (unless it is an excellent jumper!) do this regularly until the hamster gets used to your scent and voice, and earns your trust. Then, when you are ready, put your hands together and put a treat in the middle, this way the hamster will climb into your hands to get the treat. If it does not, it is not yet comfortable with you so keep trying till it is. Then gently cup one hand over its back, do not squeeze it as hamsters find this stressful, which may lead to biting.
    Hope this helps! :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 07:32 PM

Closed, do you not check dates, this is a 3 year old thread, these will be senior citizen hamsters by now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you tame a hamster? [ 14 Answers ]

I have a panda hamster names bamboo She's 8 weeks old and I've had her a little over a week, not very long I know She bites a lot and I want to know if there's a way to tame a hamster so they don't bite as much Because I don't like picking her up anymore because I'm afraid she'll bite me and...

My hamster has died [ 6 Answers ]

My pet hamster died today, he was only 10 months old and seemed absolutely fine, happy and running about. I had not seen him for over a day so I checked his bed and he was there just curled up. I don't understand why he has gone, I don't think he had wet tail, can anyone help me, give me a possible...

Completely terrified [ 5 Answers ]

How can I tell my parents, whom I have no bond whatsoever with, that I have been depressed for 5 years and in need of help withouth becoming physically sick, shaky, utterly terrified, dizzy, lightheaded, and scared? :(

Brown Bear Hamster? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I bought me brown bear hamster yesterday and they told me she is almost 4 month old. Is she to old to be tamed?? Thank you for your answers!! Heidi

Chirping Hamster [ 5 Answers ]

My friend just got a hamster and when it is walking around it's cage, or is disturped it makes a kind of chirpy, squeek. It is pretty regular. I looked around on hamster sites and they all said hamsters were quiet and none mentioned this noise. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone tell me if it means it...

View more questions Search