Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 09:21 AM
    Let me first say I'm not a financial planner, but this works for me!

I don't know how you keep your checkbook, but I found that doing it in an Excel spreadsheet was really helpful. I log everything; date, vendor, amount, and also a category (utility, ATM, etc). Then at the end of the month I can see where I've spent what. If you are still charging on credit cards, do the same thing with your credit transactions. Classify each of them so at the end of the month you can see where you can cut back (dining out, shopping, even kids activities).

Make a list of all of your bills and the dates they are due. If they have the same amount each month (like a trash service for example) include that. If you pay about the same every month (like water bills) figure that in. Add it all up and see how much you owe, versus how much you make. Now you know how much you have left to "play' with, whether that's going out, savings, etc. or how much you are in the hole each month and you need to make up. Then get a calendar or day planner, and write down the days you are going to pay bills. I also circle payday with a big red marker for the whole year. If you have 3 bills due before the 15th, pay them all on the 12th; 6 bills due by the end of the month, pay them on the 25th, for example. Of course work it out to when you get paychecks, etc! I know that for me it helps to be able to physically see when bills are due by looking at a calendar, because then there's no forgetting it and paying it late!

It's going to be tough to get a system that works, and the one I described is what works for me. But once you find something that works for you, that you can stick to, hopefully you will be back on track in no time. Good luck!
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 10:30 AM
    I am trying to get it all squared away instead of on going, at least the doctor bills. I will not be using my cards any longer, I don't know what steered us in the wrong direction, but our belief was "we can have it if we can pay cash for it"... So much for that. Anyway I want it to be that way again. We do have a truck payment and we aren't willing to give it up so that is the only loan we will have besides the house! Everything else will need to be saved for... Thanks so much, Start!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Is there any way you can pick up a part time job? When I graduated HS I worked in a small retail store, and there were several moms who stayed at home during the week and only worked a few hours on the weekend. If you can work 10 hours a week and make $7/hr, that will give you some extra funds to try and get ahead on things. Of course, this only works if your husband or a relative can take care of your kids while you are gone, as childcare will eat all the extra money. There are also at-home things you can do; Avon has a very low start-up cost (I think it's $10) and if you have a lot of friends you can make some extra money on the side.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Thanks, I do work at home, I do daycare. With four kids I am no longer willing to leave the house and get my usual night job. The last straw was a worn out husband and never seeing him or my oldest that were in school all day. Not worth the extra 4 hundred. I do daycare and make much more now and there is less stress on the whole house with mom always here. Ok, back to the point. I think I am going to use Dave Ramsey's idea first and then go from there. I think I have it down I have been working on it (off and on) since this morning. I just got my filing cabinet and got everything filed last week, I am getting my envelopes and my little worksheets this afternoon. I am really hoping this works. I will have to be very strong as I like to cheat sometimes. I really need to stop that! So thank you so much for the help, I will be keeping this thread going if you have anymore advice, or tips that any of you would like to share. Remember I hardly have anything else to pay off I already did that, now it is to get the bills paid on time and in full! Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Jun 4, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Thanks Jillianleab... See you around!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Pay myself [ 1 Answers ]

I am part owner of a small business in Texas. I'm trying to figure out how to pay myself a salary. Can somebody please explain how this works and the associated tax considerations?

Who is it better to pay? [ 2 Answers ]

A attorney for a collection agency got me the validation of several medical bills. So who is it better to pay? The attorney, the collection agency or the original medical places? I would like to pay the original medical places, and send a letter to the attorney and collection agency saying that...

Pay [ 2 Answers ]

Can an employer change your wage every time he desides he wants to like take you off your pay and change it to piece work, and than change it to a forced sub contractor and say your making too much money so now you can no longer be a sub and put you back on hourly

Will I have to pay? [ 10 Answers ]

Background... I have lived in an upstairs apartment for about 6 months and the first day the down stairs neighbor told me that the guy who lived above him was noisey and 'slamed' around weights in his apartment and that he could hear it. Two days after I moved in (the day the movers came) the...

View more questions Search