Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalala222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 12:52 PM
    She Lies
    We have a friend, who has lied to us consistantly since day 1.
    It's only been recent that we as her group of friends have come together and noticed her obvious lies. We've also looked back on some of the absoloute shes told us.
    For example:
    Sleeping on a bench/door step in Camden with some friends we have evidence she made up. (considoring this was when she was 13)

Saying she was in a band and played guitar, however she only knew the chords, yet she was the lead guitarist. However, when we asked someone who does actually play guitar to teach us some chords and we asked her to show us several of the chords he'd taught us. She didn't know how. We also asked a band member if they knew her. They didnt.

She once told me and a friend one of her friends had been jumping on a trampoline, got so high he landed in the bath tub in a second story house via the window. Got up and did it again.

There are so many other lies i can't even begin to list more, she does it regularly. She has been confronted more than once, first time denying it and eventually backing down. She has lost several friends due to this problem and we're sick of it. It's like she thinks we're complete mugs and believe everything she says when really we would quite like to smack her in the face.

We looked up her condition..Compulsive Lying and need to know how to deal with it and preferably stop it. We know its for attention.

She also brings glasses into school on random days claiming she need them. We all know she doesn't. It's weird.

How can we make her stop whilst she's still young?
    AltaVista Posts: 70, Reputation: 12

May 4, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Other than the gentle-confrontations and trying to get an explanation from her, this is a deep seated problem that's going to need professional help. She's probably covering up some sort of insecurity or other serious issues. This is obviously Far beyond simply making up a few stories for the fun of it. And while it may have started that way in childhood, this has moved into the mental health realm.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

May 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
    I completely agree AltaVista! This is obviously a mental health issue. I would be willing to bet that her home life is not the greatest, maybe even past or current abuse in one way or another. Maybe you should sit her down and ask her questions about home and what goes on there with mom and dad or whoever she lives with. If things are bad, I am sure she will tell you. You also face the problem that she may lie about that too. A therapist is the best answer here.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

May 4, 2007, 05:50 PM
    This is one of my biggest issues with people. Definite grounds for ending friendship. Maybe she has reasons, maybe she is ill, who knows. What I do know is that you can only take care of YOU. No one can change someone else. Is this a behavior your willing to accept? What about the consequences of losing your trust in people who have done nothing to deserve it... all due to learned behavior, on your part, that people lie. Personally... would not be able to be friends. It doesn't make you a better person to be a friend to someone like this, it just tears down some of the good in you.
    pshyic helper Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalala222
    We have a friend, who has lied to us consistantly since day 1.
    It's only been recent that we as her group of friends have come together and noticed her obvious lies. We've also looked back on some of the absoloute shes told us.
    For example:
    Sleeping on a bench/door step in Camden with some friends we have evidence she made up. (considoring this was when she was 13)

Saying she was in a band and played guitar, however she only knew the chords, yet she was the lead guitarist. However, when we asked someone who does actually play guitar to teach us some chords and we asked her to show us several of the chords he'd taught us. She didn't know how. We also asked a band member if they knew her. They didnt.

She once told me and a friend one of her friends had been jumping on a trampoline, got so high he landed in the bath tub in a second story house via the window. Got up and did it again.

There are so many other lies i can't even begin to list more, she does it regularly. She has been confronted more than once, first time denying it and eventually backing down. She has lost several friends due to this problem and we're sick of it. It's like she thinks we're complete mugs and believe everything she says when really we would quite like to smack her in the face.

We looked up her condition..Compulsive Lying and need to know how to deal with it and preferably stop it. We know its for attention.

She also brings glasses into school on random days claiming she need them. We all know she doesn't. It's weird.

How can we make her stop whilst she's still young?
    This is most likely cause she has had a bad or unstable upbringing and wants to feel better in her self the best thing to do is honestly to keep telling her when you have found out it's a lie u know it is and she will stop the worst thing to do is to ignore it she needs to feel axcepted trust me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lies.. lies.. lies.. [ 14 Answers ]

I Have Been Married 5ys Now (together Scents 1995) We Are In The Early 30's And Have 3 Kids.(one Mine 2 Ours) There Are Many Problems In Our Relationship... mainly He Lies! Im Talking Lies To Lie. No Matter He Just Lies. Often I Think Hes Doing It To Bother Me, But At Other Times It's the First...

Lies? [ 11 Answers ]

hey =D really random question guys, as you know everyone lies to their parents now and again, but lately I have been feeling bad about it, I was thinking, because when they die, can they find everything out that you have lied about.. and do they hate you? kitty xxx

Love lies [ 1 Answers ]

An old song I am trying to find the sheet music for does any body know where I might find it here are some of the lyrics when you have played the game of love there are memories you recall You think of all those happy childhood days you whisper pretty nothings that never can come true but its...

Will my lies ever stop [ 2 Answers ]

I am a leo born at 4.30pm on the5 of August 1980 I constantly tell lies to my partner and just want to stop does any one have any insight to my future cause I just don't know what or where to turn next

Lies and The End? [ 42 Answers ]

Hello. Happy Holidays to all. I found out that my ex is in another relationship. She said that she didn't want a relationship with anyone when she left me, but I didn't believe her. I guess I was right. She probably said this because she "didn't want to hurt me". Fission Mailed. I'm not as...

View more questions Search