Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2004, 06:22 AM
    Another type of problem with external hhd's
    I have a two-fold problem I'm trying to sort though.

I have a newer PC w/XP and an 80gb hhd. I want to partition this hhd into three partitions like my other ME box using Partitionmagic8 (because of NTFS on XP).  In order to do this, I have to backup my existing system on C: (image copy with Ghost). BTW, I'm not going to run dual OS's. This is strictly a backup situation.

So I bought a Maxtor external 120gb hhd that I would like to also create two partitions... so I can "hot swap" between my two PC's and backup my older ME box and the newer XP box in their respective partitions on the external. This is because of ME/FAT32 file system and XP/NTFS file system differences.  

The reason I'm asking is I'm sure someone else has already gone before me, and probably has a really good way of streamlining this procedure.

From what I'm seeing, this is what I have to do: hook up the external; partition the external in NTFS AND FAT32 so both XP and ME can use it; Ghost image XP C: to external for safety (there's an existing XP imaging problem and solution to external drives identified on Symantec); partition the XP box.

Thanks, Jim.
    akm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2005, 09:56 PM
    Problem moving 10gig file from PC/NTFS to ext HD/FAT32!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimt
    So I bought a Maxtor external 120gb hhd that I would like to also create two partitions...so I can "hot swap" between my two PC's and backup my older ME box and the newer XP box in their respective partitions on the external. This is because of ME/FAT32 file system and XP/NTFS file system differences. *
    From what I'm seeing, this is what I have to do: hook up the external; partition the external in NTFS AND FAT32 so both XP and ME can use it; Ghost image XP C: to external for safety (there's an existing XP imaging problem and solution to external drives identified on Symantec); partition the XP box.
    Thanks, Jim.
    Similar (or at least related) question...
    Am using XPpro/SP2/NTSF and trying to move large (10gig) zip file to Maxtor Ext HD with FAT32 system.
    Getting error message that not enough space on HD but there is plenty of empty space when I check properties.
    Do I need to convert HD (or create partition) to NTFS, and if so how difficult is that without losing stored data?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
    If I recall correctly, FAT32 has a filesize limit of either 2 or 4 GB...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Help - external costs [ 6 Answers ]

Okay. Here's a situation, and I cannot find any external costs. Can someone help me please? A huge superstore wants to open up in a small town. This will result in nearly all local SMEs to shut down, and will result in a net loss in employment. Also, the store is locating in a cheap, shoddy...

External costs [ 1 Answers ]

If a company chooses to outsource production to a cheaper country, what would be the external costs? I believe pollution in the new country would be, but how about the job loss in the initial country?

Help with a external drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have an external hard drive can I install a virus program on it so that I can take it to another system and then run the virus program on that system. Will this be a problem because the drive letter will change or will it not matter because the file structure will not change only the drive...

Cdrw-external-usb [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Philips CDRW 462/463/464 external USB drive.I lost my installation disk, drivers and my laptop computer running on Windows ME had to be reformated. CDRW drive is not recognized by the computer and it's not working. Please let me know where I can get the drivers for this drive and how to...

View more questions Search