Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mutinydave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Credit Card Judgement.what to do?
    Hello,

I have a large debt to 2 credit card companies totaling approximately $28,000. I ran into financial difficulty with my business (I owned numerous rental properties and lost 3 of them to foreclosure). Bottom line is I have not made a payment on this debt in well over a year. The two credit card companies were calling almost daily. The calls are now being made by a law firm (Mann Bracken). My question is this. Since the collection activity is now being done by a law firm, has a judgement already been filed? Would I be better off waiting this out or possibly making an offer to settle? If I wait it out do I run the risk of having my wages garnished or my bank account seized? I could come up with $3,000 immediately but it is well shy of what I owe and I don't know if this would be the best course of action.

Thank you for your help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
    No. Some Law firms are in the sole business of collecting debt. Mann Bracken is one of them (an infamous one form what I've heard).

However, since this debt is within the SOL, they should have no problem obtaining a judgement. So your best bet it trying to negotiate a settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Wondering How Far Behind On Your Payments With Major Credit Company You Have To Be Before It Gets Turn Over For Collection And Then To A Court For Judgement? Al

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

Credit Card Judgement [ 6 Answers ]

What is a credit card judgement and what are my rights?

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

View more questions Search