Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swieczorek Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 08:34 AM
    A different black screen of death with beeps
    Hello Folks!
    I am desperate for answers. Last night, I went to shut down my laptop (HPdv5000) and it appeared frozen. I couldn't click on anything, and all screens were closed. So, I did what most non-computer people would do. I just shut it down. This morning, I went to turn it on, and :eek: a black screen came up with a blinking underscore in the upper left hand corner. WHen I press ctrl.alt.delete, a screen comes up with the Microsoft icon and it says to press esc. To change the boot order (beeps)
    Or F10 to change set up order (beeps)
    F 12 to boot from LAN (beeps)
    When I press those, the computer starts beeping at me. Then, if I press any button, it beeps more.
    I have had this computer for less than a year, and am trying to solve the problem without having to talk to my friends in India, or where ever in the world the HP service center is. My computer has already crashed once before.
    Can anyone help, please?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Sounds like your hard drive locked up.

Happened to me just two weeks ago, same situation you are describing.

I am not a technogeek, so I am just speaking from the experience I had. Installed a new hard drive and was up and running by that evening.
    swieczorek Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 08:39 AM
    But wait. What does it mean to install a new hard drive?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 08:41 AM
    I don't know that part, a friend did it for me. I just went to Wal-Mart and bought what he told me to buy.

I am just saying that this may be your problem.

(I can install new memory by myself though :p) LOL
    jotwaguk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2012, 01:33 AM
    Like I wish to know how to install new memory or hard drive to my computer... I wish that you can help me with my computer(ubuntu Linux)type

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Screen Of Death [ 9 Answers ]

Yesterday, I booted up my desktop computer and it refused to completely load. That is, the black screen with the Compaq splash screen would come up, and that's where the comp would stop. If I press any button, the splash screen goes away and a black screen comes up with <F10=Setup> in the bottom...

Blue screen of death [ 17 Answers ]

Just purchased a Dell Inspiron E1705 with mobile capabilites. Service is with Cingular. Every time I go surfing on the web at some point I will get this blue screen telling me windows has shut down to protect the computer. Dell tech support has been useless in solving this problem. Any...

Please help... Blue screen of death! [ 7 Answers ]

Yes, I have had the blue screen of death for a few months now. I have tried numerous stupid things but they don't seem to work It hadn't happened for a few weeks until today, it happened again. I have the error reports for it if that helps. Is there anyting I can do?

Blue screen of death [ 4 Answers ]

got a friend with this problem any ideas to resolve it ERROR 0x00000024 NTFS.SYS and it says... check the disk with CHDSK /F to repair the problem... but I can't because I can't access to anything to do a CHKDSK... :)

View more questions Search