Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leonardja Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Received Summons From Collection Company
    Hi Everyone,

Today I received a summons from a collection company. I am being sued for money owed on a $1800.00 cell phone bill from November 2003. I reside in the state of California and am not sure what my rights are.

My first question is do I need to hire an attorney?

If not, what form do I use to respond to the summons?

Secondly, I understand that the burden of proof lies on the collection company. But what should I ask them to provide to me that proves the debt belongs to me?

And lastly, at what point do I start to contact this collection company if at all?

Any help you all can give me would be much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Read the summons, it tells you what you need to do. Generally you now need to file a Notice to Defend. In that notice you request copies of the original contract and proof the collection company has the right to collect on it.

There are many threads in her and the Bankruptcy and Debt forums that discuss in more detail what to do in such an instance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2007, 07:31 AM
    My first thought was are you the correct debtor and do you owe the $1800? The CA statute of limitations on an open account is 2-4 years so you may see some light at the end of the tunnel. How long ago did you last make a payment on this account, 11-03?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Default on a Lease; Received a Summons [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I have a strange one. About 4 years ago, I leased an apartment in Virginia. The lease was for a year but left after 7 months and moved to Florida. The contract stated if someone leased the place out, I was out of the contract. As it was a busy complex, the manager said I didn't have to...

I received a summons from a company [ 10 Answers ]

That bought 8 of my credit cards and they want their $20,000. I do not deny that I owe that amount, even though the amounts are higher, but asking them to validate and send me receipts is going to make my amount owed higher, because I have to pay for attorney and court costs. So lets say that I...

Received consumer credit summons- [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons for credit card debt that was charged off but purchased by a collection agent. I have 30 days to respond with my answer since it was left in my door. That gives me until 3/12. My question is I am going to be claiming bankruptcy but I still need to answer this or I was told by...

Summons received for old credit card debt [ 6 Answers ]

My mother who is 75 years old just received a summons from a constable to appear in court for a credit card with National City that she had between 1998 and 2000. She said she never received any bills from them concerning this. The amount due is $2500. The summons also states that she was...

View more questions Search