Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    girl_scout_111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2004, 10:02 AM
    Windows 2000 professioanl program
    My employer just updated all of our computers at my work and gave me a PC with windows 2000 professional as the main running program. I was deleting what I thought was unneeded programs and actually deleted the program logitech that was running the keyboard and mouse. Now when the system comes up to the part where you are to ctrl alt del to insure password protection my keyboard will not respond. Have I totally screwed this PC up? Is there a way to get past this? I have the cd to reinstall the logitech program, but can't get past this one screen. What can I do?Thanks Teresa
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 3, 2004, 08:17 PM
    Re: windows 2000 professioanl program
    Have I totally screwed this PC up?

No, you haven't. :) The computer is fine, but windows is a little more confused (than usual.)

Try this. When you see the message "Starting windows..." press F8. A menu will appear, select Safe Mode. When you get into safe mode, see if your keyboard works. If it does, reinstall the drivers from CD. If not, see the next idea.

If that didn't work or if nothing happens when you press F8 (they might have changed things in win2000, I don't know), then try disconnecting the logitech keyboard and reconnect a standard ps2 keyboard. Boot up normally, and log in, and reinstall the logitech drivers, and reboot with the old keyboard. It should work then.

:)
    ~psi42
    girl_scout_111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2004, 12:53 AM
    Is there maybe a third idea, cause it still won't respond to the keyboard or the mouse. I have a windows 98 startup floppy disc that I tried to install, just to get back into the system and no luck. It will get an A prompt and I can get a D prompt but no C. I also have tried the del when it first is booting up and it gets a q-flash that brings a blue CMOS setup utility. There is a bunch of mess on that screen, but I don't know what it means. What would you suggest? Is there like a secret button combo that will let you in, surely Bill Gates knew there would be people like me that don't have a clue what they are doing and would delete something important. Is it in the recycle bin and I could drag it back out? I really want to try and fix this myself, I could take it to the computer dude who does all our work for the office but I will be totally embarrassed, so don't tell him, he already thinks I'm a crack head. Help me please if you can. Thanks Teresa
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 4, 2004, 11:14 AM
    Is there maybe a third idea, cause it still won't respond to the keyboard or the mouse.

Not even to the PS/2 keyboard? That's odd...

What about when you boot into safe mode?

]
    I have a windows 98 startup floppy disc that I tried to install, just to get back into the system and no luck. It will get an A prompt and I can get a D prompt but no C.

No C? That's VERY odd...

Tell me, does your system require being hooked to your work network to boot up?

]
    I also have tried the del when it first is booting up and it gets a q-flash that brings a blue CMOS setup utility. There is a bunch of mess on that screen, but I don't know what it means. What would you suggest?

If the keyboard worked in DOS, the CMOS is fine... only windows is messed up...

]
    Is there like a secret button combo that will let you in,

Not to my knowledge...
    Actually you don't have a keyboard so how would you enter it?

]
    surely Bill Gates knew there would be people like me that don't have a clue what they are doing and would delete something important.

Heh heh...
    Let's put it this way:
    Microsoft caters to the common 95% of users. These users pay for windows regardless of whether it has satisfactory recovery features, and will continue to do so, because they don't want to learn anything else. 95% of users, however, do use the recycle bin, so that is implemented. 95% of users also would prefer the windows logo bootup screen to a more detailed bootup sequence because it's "more freindly," whatever that means. When something of this nature happens, the common advice is to "reinstall windows."

Sorry. Must forgive my Microsoft bashing. Sorry.

]
    Is it in the recycle bin and i could drag it back out?

Hmm... possibly, if the recycle bin is enabled on your computer. Give it a try...
    Oh yeah, you don't have a keyboard. :(
    Are you SURE the PS/2 keyboard didn't work...

]
    I really want to try and fix this myself, I could take it to the computer dude who does all our work for the office but I will be totally embarrased, so don't tell him, he already thinks I'm a crack head. Help me please if you can.
    He'd probably reinstall windows.

Are you SURE the PS/2 keyboard didn't work at all? It really should...

It's just so hard to do anything with this without a keyboard, especially because you need a key combo to log in.

What happens if you do not connect the keyboard until you see the login screen? (Note if it is not a USB keyboard, you shouldn't do this (even though I do all the time, it's not "safe" for a PS/2 keyboard).)

Good luck,
    ~psi42

P.S.
    If you really don't want the computer guy to know, but you eventually find you have to take the computer to him, just tell him the keyboard just stopped working all by itself. :);D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2004, 05:26 PM
    I never hesitate to bash Microsoft. However I have had a similar problem even in Linux. I have restored my key board or mouse by reseating the plug. Since I never can remember what is hot pluggable, I just always shut down before messing with any plugs.
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Mar 24, 2004, 02:56 AM
    Windows 2000 professioanl program
    Restart your PC then start tapping the F8 key when you start to see white writing on the black background. When you get to a list of options to choose from, select "last known good configuration" and this should fix your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Xp/2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have windows 2000 installed - can I install XP over this? If not how do I remove 2000 before I install xp? Thanks

Windows 2000 [ 2 Answers ]

Can I install windows 2000 over windows ME without losing any of my programs or information? Thanks

Windows xp or 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed up for a class for windows 2000 professional. When I arrived for the class it was for XP professional. I am pursuing a MCSA and both are good for the os portion. However I am wondering if I would be better off studying 2000 instead?

View more questions Search