How does USB differ from Serial port
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 05:14 AM
    The holes are a different shape...

Seriously though, they are different in many ways:

Read this: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Now read this: Serial port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you understand many of the differences.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 4, 2007, 05:19 AM
    From my experience, USB is said to be faster than serial. We can't tell but the computer can. My printer came with serial. But because of my office set-up I needed a longer interface cord from the PC to the printer. I went shopping for an extension and found that coupling two together would make it even slower and the cord would have cost almost as much as a USB that was already long enough. For me that was a no-brainer. I go with USB any time I have the option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Serial Number [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba Laptop, and I'm trying to find out how much time I have left on my warranty (I want to get the USB port replaced - it's broken). I called Toshiba and of course they asked for the S/N. The OEM sticker on the bottom of the machine has been rubbed clean - probably from using it as...

Serial Numbering of Records [ 4 Answers ]

I have a query based on a table with the fields such as firstname and lastname. I am running a report which list down all the records. But I want to print a row number / serial number as first column in the report. Sample SL. No. FirstName LastName 1. Sam ...

Serial Mouse Detection Problems [ 4 Answers ]

I recently formatted and upgraded a Pentium I Gateway Computer to Windows 98. I attached a serial mouse to it-but I keep getting this error message that tells me no mouse is dectected. I must either restart if I have a PS/2 mouse or I may safely attach a serial mouse then. The mouse is already...

View more questions Search