Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alancito1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Borrowing against parents mortgage
    Hello, my parents currently own a 3 flat apartment and I am renting the 2nd floor from them. I have unsecured student loans and other unsecured debt that adds up to about $32,000. I was wondering if my parents wanted to help me out by paying off my debt against the house, ( with me paying them back of course) what would be the smartest way of handling this? Should they do a home equity line of credit and give me the money as a gift? Should they refinance the whole amount and add me as a co-borrower? Any suggestions?
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Not a good idea. Never borrow from friends or family. It can ruin the relationship. Putting the house up as collateral is not wise either..

Besides, your just moving the money. You are not solving the real issue. You need to pay the debt back. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2007, 07:52 AM
    I would definitely not borrow on the home to pay student loans. The interest on your loans should be less than any mortgage interest would be.

But, if they want to help you pay your other debts, then a home equity line might be the best way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Borrowing 401K for Rental Property [ 12 Answers ]

I would like to know some advice... I would like to purchase a rental property for an investment, would it be wise to burrow from my 401K? I plan on keeping the property for approx 5 years. I have 90,000 in 401K or would it be best to just get a loan from the bank? Any suggestions?

Don't like my parents [ 15 Answers ]

:mad: I am a 13 year old who wants to let her parents who she hates them without actually telling them so I can finally tell them I what is in my head. What is the best approach?

How to tell my parents? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm 16 and kind of like this guy who used to be my classmate. However, I' m now shifting to a new school. His parents know about me and like me, but I haven't told my parents yet. They got to know about us before and told me to break it off. They say it's not in our culture to date so I...

How to tell her parents? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm dating a stright a student who is like the perfect daughter. Her parents don't know about me.. I hope... I want to take her to the movies for our 1st month since we started going out... her parents are mean.. and I don't want to get her in trouble... what do I do?

Borrowing from 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I need to borrow $2000.00 from my 401K. My husband lost his job & my paycheck doesn't cover all the bills & rent. I don't have any other resources from which to borrow money. What are the risks? I have tried to research this on the internet, but I am not financially savvy. I don't understand all ...

View more questions Search