Ask
    hobonorthern Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 09:20 PM
    What happens to a young offenders violent crime record after 18
    I would like to know what? If anything happens to a Young offender charged
    With violent crimes prior to 18th birthday. I'm unaware of how the Canadian
    Judicial system works is this regard. I have a young ward under my care
    Who is extremely concerned about past issues, warrants,etc which occurred
    Prior to his 18th birthday. I've also been informed that IF I were to inquire
    About his past record i.e. run a check at the local police dept on his behalf
    I can't do this.
    1] If he did go to the local police dept and inquire about outstanding warrants
    Would he be immeadiately arrested/charged ?
    2] If he is trying very hard to {straighten out his life} what can we do to
    Prevent /defer possible issues with the police dept.
    3] IF crimes are forgiven? Or forgotten after 18 HOW DO WE CHECK to see
    What if anything is still outstanding before the courts.
    4] What issues do we face for possibly aiding & abetting?
    noeymc Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Well in the usa u can get most of anything exsponged at 18 in Ohio anyway
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2007, 04:47 AM
    Hello hobo:

If he's wanted, that doesn't go away because he turned 18. Crimes are NOT forgiven, even in the great country of Canada.

IF he has charges, the best bet for him would be to hire a lawyer.

excon

PS> Aiding and abbetting?? If you're harboring a fugitive from justice, I think you can be charged.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Hobo, excon is exactly right.

You mention that he is your "ward." Did a court order this? If they did, you had a legal right to request any information on him prior to his turning 18.

I think you need to follow excon's suggestion. You and your "ward" should seek the counsel of an attorney who specializes in Criminal Law. He will be able to help you figure out what may or may not be pending, and what you have to do to legally resolve this situation. If your ward is trying to straighten his life out, the best thing for him to do is not allow this problem to sit and fester. The earlier he gets it taken care of, the better his chances of it being resolved in his favor. You should be there with him at this meeting with the lawyer and explain what you have done to help him change his life around. That kind of positive influence will not be dismissed by a court. They really do want young people to turn their lives around. You obviously have done something right here and I hope for both of you, this is something that can be straightened out easily enough. But, please don't wait any longer. Find a good lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden Violent Behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is about nine months old. He is a neutered Husky Shepherd cross. He is normally a friendly kind albeit hyper dog. Tonight however, he lunged and snapped at my fiancé for no reason. Curtis (fiance) was sitting on the couch petting Nico (the dog) when the dog lashed out with his front paws...

Sex offenders rights [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter's offender just served 3 years in prison for what he did to her. He was released in October 2005 and his 'level' has yet to be classified as a 1, 2, or 3. I contacted the D.A. in early December at the advice of the NYS Sex Offender Registry and was told that all arguments have been made...

Legal and personal issue with violent girl [ 2 Answers ]

I've never had to go on a site like this before and I've never had to deal with what I saw last night. I've been seeing a girl on and off for the last year. We've broken up repeatedly - I've ended it each time - due to her possessiveness and strange behavior (ie going through my computer and...

A hate filled violent note [ 18 Answers ]

I found a note to no one about me... my daughter says she hates me with every single cell in her body... it has violent words in it... it says I am a failure and I am to be pitied... yet in the same letter she says she hates herself because she loves me... her hatred seems to center around me as an...

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

View more questions Search