Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martiniii Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Teen, 16, hit a parked car/no license
    My best friend, 16, who I'd do anything for, went to get some food one day but hit a parked car as he was pulling in to park. The car he hit was a brand new toyota tocoma, which the guy bought last week. He was an off duty cop! My best friend was a total mess, crying and panicking because it was a complete accident. There was bumper damage roughly 1500 in damage. The security and the police came and he was charged with a misdemeanor. He has to go to court soon and doesn't know what to expect. He is one month from getting his license. What is going to happen to him ? What should he do ? I'm scaredddd :confused: :(
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 3, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martiniii
    my best friend, 16, who i'd do anything for, went to get some food one day but hit a parked car as he was pulling in to park. the car he hit was a brand new toyota tocoma, which the guy bought last week. he was an off duty cop! my best friend was a total mess, crying and panicking because it was a complete accident. there was bumper damage roughly 1500 in damage. the security and the police came and he was charged with a misdemeanor. he has to go to court soon and doesn't kno what to expect. he is one month from getting his license. what is going to happen to him ? what should he do ? im scaredddd :confused: :(
    You don't say who owns the vehicle that your friend was driving. If it's his parents, then the insurace for his parents should pay the damages to the parked vehicle. Now his parents insurance company (if that the situation I described) or the insurance company for whomever let your friend drive, should pay unless your friend was specifically excluded by name on that insurance from driving. That insurance company will ask their insured why your friend was driving, etc, was it loaned with permission of the insured, was it stolen or taken for a joy ride? etc. As to court, your friend will have to explain why he was driving with no license, (if he gets a change to explain since there's no real excuse that I know of for driving without a license), pay a fine, perhaps have to make restituition for the damage, have the issuance of his license perhaps delayed. I recommend he have his parents there in court with him and they and your friend might want to have an explanation for the judge as to what punishment the parents have in mind for their child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Yes he will need to have his paretns when him, he will get a fine to pay, maybe put on probation and then not be able to get his license for a longer time now. It is possible that the owner of the vechile could be ticketed for allow him to drive.

The car insurance he was driving will have to pay for the damage. If for some reason the insurance will not pay, he and his parents will be liable to pay for all the damages

May 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes he will need to have his paretns when him, he will get a fine to pay, maybe put on probation and then not be able to get his license for a longer time period now. It is possible that the owner of the vechile could be ticketed for allow him to drive.

The car insurance he was driving will have to pay for the damage. If for some reason the insurnace will not pay, he and his parents will be liable to pay for all the damages
    Thank you. That helps. Do you know how long he will have to wait to drive again? And how much he will be fined ? I really want to help him out.
    Marcusstorm Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

May 3, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Well he won't be getting his licence in a hurry, that's for sure, depending on the state country your in. He wilol most probably be charge with damge to anothers property, maybe car theft, if he stole the car, maybe putting others lives at risk. Its kind of hard without knowing the situation but you should support him as much as you can, and remind him that he isn't going to jail. Even if its not the truth, it will lessen his anxiety!!

May 3, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcusstorm
    Well he wont be getting his licence in a hurry, thats for sure, depending on the state country your in. He wilol most probably be charge with damge to anothers property, maybe car theft, if he stole the car, maybe putting others lives at risk. its kind of hard without knowing the situation but you should support him as much as you can, and remind him that he isnt going to jail. even if its not the truth, it will lessen his anxiety!!!
    He didn't steal the car. That's for sure. We live in California. Is it considered a 'joy ride' if he just went to get food and then was to return home immediately? Never mind. I believe the judge is to decide that... his parents didn't know he took the car. The key was given to him months ago but he never drove it alone. I don't know why he did it, his stomach took over... :(
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

May 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by martiniii
    he didn't steal the car. that's for sure. we live in california. is it considered a 'joy ride' if he just went to get food and then was to return home immediatly? nevermind. i believe the judge is to decide that... his parents didn't know he took the car. the key was given to him months ago but he never drove it alone. idk why he did it, his stomach took over... :(
    Why in the world would his parents give him a key to a car that he has no legal right or permission to drive?

This is where it will get interesting. If the parents had no idea he took the car and didn't give him permission to take it--then it is technically stolen, even if it was from his parents. It IS stealing even if it is just to drive to get food and come straight home. His parents might have to claim the car was stolen in order for the insurance company to pay. If his parents gave him permission to drive without a license, not only can the insurance company refuse to pay for the damages (since the policy usually states "lawful drivers"), but the parents can be charged with various violations. Since they gave him a key, the insurance company can claim that the parents inferred a right to drive, even without a license.

I'd imagine that your friend might not be getting his license for up to a year later than he expected it--and he will most likely be on probation for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s hit in not another teen movie [ 4 Answers ]

What is the name of the 80's song/electronic piece interlude (and the artist) that is played at the point where the 3 kids say ROAD TRIP!! And then drive down just to the next block.

15 year old totals car.no license [ 10 Answers ]

My brilliant daughter, 15, no license totaled her boyfriends car. Of course we are going to have to pay for his car which is over $10k. I am just wondering how the insurance company will handle this? Will we have to pay it back in one lump sum? I sure do not have $10k laying around! Oh and she hit...

Need a b/f hit me up [ 4 Answers ]

I need help getting a g/f. I'm to shy to ask a girl to go out with me so please help me:(

Car hit by garbage truck, now being ignored [ 3 Answers ]

A garbage truck hit my car in October.. I know bad luck with me and cars.. the waste management manager came out and looked at my car and said his truck didn't hit it, my neighbor saw, and I took pictures when the truck came by one day and stopped right by my car. I have left many messages and...

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search