Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simplysrujan Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 07:16 PM
    how to load OS without Cd drive
    Hi,
    I have a IBM X22 laptop without any drives.
    I used to load any software using USB drive but now I want to format my laptop and load fresh copy of operating system. I don't want to buy any external drives as I don't use them at all.
    Can I configure my setup so that it directly reads from a USB drive?
    Can I configure so that I can load it using another computer by putting the 2 computers in a network?
    I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    SA
    check_himu Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

May 5, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Hmmmmmmmmm!
    Thought a lot and got the best solution.
    INSTALL A CD-DRIVE IN YOUR LAPTOP.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Hmm this hard one is if you format that drive you will also remove all setting for you network so linking the computers together may not work, but then I have never tried this as I installed windows with CD-Rom. But this I Can say you can link two computer together, One with a CD-rom and One Without a CDrom and can share via Network the CD-rom to install programs on the computer without a CD-rom. As for your problem I can't say that you will have network connection between the two computers, once you format the laptop. The bios menu may help answer that question.
    Tushars Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simplysrujan
    Hi,
    I have a IBM X22 laptop without any drives.
    I used to load any software using USB drive but now I want to format my laptop and load fresh copy of operating system. I dont want to buy any external drives as I dont use them at all.
    Can I configure my setup so that it directly reads from a USB drive?
    Can I configure so that I can load it using another computer by putting the 2 computers in a network?
    I would appreciate your help.
    Thanks
    SA
    How many partitions do you have for your laptop?
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 13, 2007, 11:29 AM
    One I have a computer with 2 hard drives not partitioned, Also have laptop with one hard drive not partitioned. So 2 Drives on my computer and one on my laptop. Partitions only going by memory can stop viruses, As it makes a different drive depending on how many times you partition a Hard Drive, But it doesn't stop Damage spreading if the Hard Drive the partitions are on (Weather 2 or 3 or more partitions) crashes or starts to get back sectors. There are other ways to back up stuff them just moving to a drive on the computer. You can Plug in to the USB drive a external Maxtor Hard drive, you can also backup on disk or CD. Saver to always have two backup sources. Hope that helped. Also I suggest as backup sources.

One External USB Harddrives
    Two CD-RW or DVD RW
    Three a Second Hard drive on the Computer
    Four in some cases an offsite or extra computer if you have

All sources and backup sites should be Virus and spyware Checked, Using two or more of these is Best

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Win 2003: Permanent drive letter 4 removable drive [ 2 Answers ]

I have set up a backup system on Windows 2003 Server using 2 hot-swap removable drive drawers with hard drives in them. I have a pair of backup drives for each day of the week, with one drive imaging the OS partition and the other drive imaging the data partition. The system is working beautifully...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Drive belt drive diagram [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a diagram of the belt drive for mtd 18hp. 42" riding mower for free.

View more questions Search