Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frizz1862 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Learn to fly
    I’m a person that likes to try new and daring things. My latest desire is to learn how to fly. Where can I go to find info on the best flight schools in my area?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Go visit the local schools and talk to them.
    dflak Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

May 4, 2007, 06:07 AM
    I'm afraid that the usual channels such as the BBB are not going to work here. There simply is not enough volume of student pilots to give a statistically valid evaluation.

I'll agree with Fr_Chuck, you'll have to go out and visit. Ask them what their program provides.

What does their ground school look like? Is it simply a slide show presentation (CD or whatever) or do you also have access to instructors? Do you have to pay extra for tutoring?

How many instructors do they have, what is their experience, and what is their availability?

How many aircraft do they have, what is their availability?

How many students do they currently have in training? How many students did they have last year? How many of these got their licenses?

What is their safety record? Chances are it's pretty good if they are still in business. One accident is usually enough to KO a flight school.

Cost is important of course, but ask them about their hourly rates as well. How much does it cost to rent and aircraft per hour? What's the current rate for avgas? How much does an instructor charge per hour? These are important in case you feel the need to add supplimental training to the basic program.

Look around the facility. Does it look like they take pride in their work? Does it look like they have the space and the facility to do adequate flight planning and study?

Of course, the best instructor in the world could be some seedy-looking crop duster but going with an independent person is a high-risk venture.

Talk with other pilots and listen to the "hangar talk."

Location is also important. Smaller airports away from the "big city" are usually better. The training is better since you will probably learn how to land on some very small runways and at uncontrolled fields and there is generally less traffic, so you can get more landings and takeoffs in an hour of instruction. However, too short a runway means you will have to do full-stop landings and taxi back instead of doing touch-and-goes.

Keep this in mind when scheduling. Everybody wants to fly on the weekend. Traffic patterns get full and you may wind up taking a cross-country just to shoot a touch-and-go. Getting up at 5 AM to fly might not be a bad idea. Also be aware of your local weather patterns. If you are in an area subject to early morning fog or afternoon thunder storms, then plan on having some flights cancelled because of weather.

Ask about these factors: can I do touch-and-goes? What is the traffic like here? What is the best time to book? What is their cancellation policy and associated fees?

Finally, be prepared to fly. Make sure you have the money to do this up front instead of flying only when you have a couple of extra bucks to do so. Ideally you should fly at least once a week. Two or three times a week would be even better. If you streatch your training out too much, you will loose too much proficiency between lessons and it will cost you more in the long run.

I had the benefit of the Government paying my way (ROTC flight screening program). I got my license in two months. I flew once on Tuesday AM and Thursday AM (as soon as the airport opened at 6 AM) and twice on Sunday!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 07:13 AM
    You can go to local airport, Tell them, you want to rent plane and Instructor for couple of hours. You could get quick basics, Steer with your feet(You will try to steer with your hands) You will expeience climbing, decending, turning, maybe a stall or 2.
    From there you will see if it is something you want to pursue. You may find you want to skydive instead(new and daring)
    If flying is it. Gleims has a book(Red)About 11 chapters including Navigation, Communication, Aero medical factors, All question and answers you would need to know.
    It is good to learn a lot of this on your time.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

May 22, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Like any education, pupil-teacher inter-reaction is important. Just because you may fail with one teacher is not a reason to give up. Try another instructor or school. An important part of flying is not being in control of the plane, although it is important. You will be required to sit and pass exams ranging from "Air Law", "Meteorology", "Navigation". Please note that US and UK regulations differ.

Apart from that it is a great sport that demands a lot from prospective pilots. I spent many hours flying with my father till he retired after 20 years of training student pilots.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 22, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Hello frizz:

All good answers so far. Here's my take on it.

I think the instructor pilot is the most important ingredient in the equation. I was extremely lucky when I got my private. I just lumbered in and asked for a $5 flight (yeah, it was $5 bucks then), and got the greatest instructor in the world. He made me feel comfortable from the get go. Everything was relaxed and mellow, and of course, I was flying the damn thing.

I never knew how lucky I was until I enrolled into a commercial instrument course. Again, I just lumbered in. This time I wasn't so lucky. I got a guy who was a good pilot, but he and I didn't connect. I especially knew I made the wrong choice, when I made my first night flight with him. I was on short final, and he said that I'm too low. Ok, I pulled back. Then he yelled that I'm too low. Then he screamed at the top of his lungs that I'm too low. Uhhh, that wasn't working with me.

I was an experienced night flyer by then, and I may have been too low for him! But, I wasn't in danger at all. He and I never flew again. Frankly, I never did find another good instructor, so I'm still halfway through my course long these many years later.

You can rent a plane from anybody. So what I'd do in interview instructors. When you find one you click with, fly with him.

excon
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
    I'm 13 years old, started flying when I was 12, I like flying, I find it particularly harder than sewing, but everyone's different =/ I would just go to your airport, local airport people know each other well, and could help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Tell the Sex of a Fly - Humor [ 2 Answers ]

=: How to Tell the Sex of a Fly := A woman walked into the kitchen to find her husband stalking around with a fly swatter. "What are you doing?" she asked. "Hunting flies" he responded. "Oh. Killing any?" she asked.

Help With Fly:( [ 3 Answers ]

I have no idea how this started I think a fly flew in threw the window but noew like over a month later I come in and see 2 big ones flying around which I got rid of but there are all these little ones because the big ones where laying eggs or whatever I think obviously I need to get rid of the...

Fly help [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We have a summer home and when we moved in discovered a dead animal in the chimney. The house is now infested with flies. We have bought products ourself but are still discovering flies a week later. Anyone had any experience with this gross incident? We have and keep...

Bee? Or fly? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble identifying a certain flying insect in my backyard. It appears to be a very large bee or fly, measuring approx. 2 inches in length. It has very colorful horizontal stripes(like a bee) on it's back that are yellow/red color... it has a long body. They buzz around the yard and...

Bee or fly? [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble identifying a certain flying insect in my backyard. It appears to be a very large bee or fly, measuring approx. 2 inches in length. It has very colorful horizontal stripes(like a bee) on it's back that are yellow/red color... it has a long body. They buzz around the yard and...

View more questions Search