Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allifair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Just Got New Water Softening System
    Hello, I just got a new water softening system for the first time in my life. It was installed last Saturday (5 days ago) and the company told me that all of the water outlets in my house and outside will now have soft water. I have two fish tanks inside and a pond outside. I have 1 kissing fish in one tank and an angel fish in the other. Outside I have mostly gold fish, a couple of koi and one shubunkin. Do I need to do anything as I add water whenever the levels drop from evaporation?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Do you happen to know how the water is softened?
    Is it RO?
    allifair Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    Do you happen to know how the water is softened?
    Is it RO?
    I don't know it is two big units and it is hague water co, I know that there is also a faucet they installed next to my sink faucet with reverse osmosis for drinking water... does that help?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 01:53 PM
    You might want to check with the company to find out how the system is softening the water.
    Some are safe for fish, and some are not.

Your drinking water with the reverse osmosis IS safe to use in fish aquariums straight from the facet.

One thing that you should probably know is that fish need to gradually be
    Introduced from hard water to soft water.

You can top off at any time.

You just need to be careful when making water changes at first so that you do not change too much water too fast.

The minerals in the hard water in your pond and tanks right now do not evaporate along with the water.
    So just topping off the water is not adjusting the fish to soft water.

So, when doing water changes, just remove about 5-10% of the water at a time until you have removed all the minerals out and soft water is replaced.

They installed a separate facet for the RO, so that tells me that the rest of your homes water is being softened in a different way.
    And I'm not sure if that way is safe for your pond fish.

You should also ask them if the water is dechlorinated through the softening system too. If not, and the water is safe for the fish, you'll still have to add the water conditioner to remove the chlorine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water in the heating system during the off season [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I noticed a slow leak coming from the eve (sp?) that hangs over my deck last night and determined that it could only be caused by a break in the line that leads to the baseboard heating in the master bedroom above (that's the only water that goes to that part of the house). In order to...

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

Water softner not softening [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a water softener question. I have a two piece water softener (one for salt storage, the other with the beads in it). I recently cleaned out my salt storage tank since it was empty. I did this by removing the valve/float assembly that runs down the hollow tube, took the salt...

Water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a new home (2800 sf each level main and basement) and will be doing a manifold distribution system with PEX piping. With the length of the house, I was planning on a two water heater system. Both 50 gal electric plumbed in tandem. If this seems feasible, would I just supply the...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search