Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    narsiav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Dual-status or resident alien while leaving the US
    I've been in the US on an H1 for 5 years and left the US in Apr 2007. By the substantial presence test, I can file as a resident (married-filing-jointly). Alternatively, I can file as dual-status, and I am trying to decide which makes sense:

Dual Status alien: Only income until Apr counts, but it appears that I have to file married-filing-separately, with no exemptions/dependents. Is this correct ?

As a dual-status alien, how is income from stocks, received after Apr 2007 treated ? Is it not taxed in the US ?

Resident: This will imply inclusion of rest-of the year indian salary, but due to the foreign tax credit, this might not be too much worse than not including it. In this case, all stock gain/loss through the entire year will count as income - is that correct ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2007, 12:57 AM
    If you left the U.S. in April 2007 for good, then you MUST file dual-satus.

If you file dual status, you must file Married Filing Separately. You CANNOT claim the standard deduction (you claim itemized deductions instead), but you can claim your own personal exemption. You can also claim dependents who lived with you in the U.S. as long as THEIR personal exemptions are equal to or less than the income you earned in the U.S.

The stock capital gains should NOT be taxable if they are realized after you left the U.S.

As an expatriate dual-status alien, you CANNOT file as a resident alien status; that is NOT an option if you bare leaving the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Alien and the W-2 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Canadian attempting to file a 1040NR for a client. He returned to Canada after 5 years in the US on July 1. He has a W-2 from his US employer. Where do I report the Social Security tax withheld (Box4) and the Medicare tax (Box 6) withheld? How do I claim credit for these withholdings? Any...

Dual Status Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am Indian citizen and come to US as a student on Aug 2002. I was working from Jan 1- 31 ,2006 in OPT. Then from Feb 1 ,2006 - Dec 31 2007 in H1 B visa. As I am a Dual Status Alien, I have few questions: 1) Whether can I claim standard deduction under article 21(2) for indian citizen?...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I dual resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my history in US: 1998 as J1 student 118 days 1999 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 87 days 2000 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 68 days 2003 as B1 visitor 8 days 2003 as F1 student 152 days 2004 as F1 student 349 days 2005 as F1 student 271 days 2005 as H1B Employee 92 days

Am I Dual Status Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks your help. But I am still confused by my status for 2005 tax return. I came in USA on July 9th, 2001 from South Korea. I stayed all year 2002, 2003, and 2004 in USA. I am on H1b from November 1, 2005. I was on F1 until September 31, 2005 on OPT. I got this job on April 25, 2005. ...

View more questions Search