Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aurora38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Kenmore Elite side by side (Coldspot)
    I called Sears, they checked it out and said the compressor went out.
    I think this is the model #106.50503990

It is still running. Sears wants to charge $600 with labor and compressor... where can I find my own compressor and have some one else install it... PLEASE ADVISE.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

May 3, 2007, 01:46 PM
    How old is the refrigerator? Most compressor have at least a five year warranty. I would suggest you pay sears the money and be done with it. The compressor will run some wheres around $200 depending on what size it is. When you change out the compressor the technician will have to remove the refrigerant from the system with a recovery unit, remove the old compressor, install the new one, leak check the connections, pull a good vacuum to remove any contaminates and air, then weigh in a new charge of refrigerant. If the compressor windings failed and burned inside the compressor ( this is common ) special care will be needed in removing and treating the system. When the compressor fails, the oil can turn to acid and if not treated or removed from the system it can damage the new compressor in a short period.

I don't work for Sears and never will but I wanted you to know what's involved. If Sears changes it for you and it fails again, they normally cover the expenses.
    bostonterrio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
    I am in the process of solving a similar problem with my Kenmore model 106.53634300. The compressor short circuited and fried itself this past Friday night. We called a private repair man to check it out. He gave us the bad news then told us that if it is part of the sealed unit the warranty should be five years. He told us to call Sears 18004myhome. They informed us we would have to pay a $69.00 diagnostic fee and if it is the compressor it should be fully covered. The guy is coming out in the morning so I will know by then if the cost will actually be higher.
    Dinky2004 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 06:09 AM
    I was told to change my filter...
    That ice will stop making is filter is out of date..?
    Any truth to that... I just priced the filter...
    Almost fell off my chair! So hoping this will be where I
    Should start?
    bostonterrio Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 08:41 PM
    My filter has not been changed in two years and it is still making ice.
    donnienacnac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Hi my kenmore 106.53634300
    The compersr comes on so does the fan
    It dose cold but then the compersr get hotthe fan and com shut off
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 15, 2010, 01:32 PM

When they replace the compressor its usually with the embrako and often has an oil cooler on it to keep the refrigerant oil from overheating and clogging the capillary tube. If you get a tech that don't mind changing the compressor chances are you can improve the units capability. I have changed plenty of them and feel as if they should be installed from the manufacture.
    aottothav Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2012, 08:42 AM
    The manufacturer should have a recall free of charge since they solved the problem in newer models. It was a design flaw which is easily fixable with a small copper wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Side by Side: no ice & red blinking light? [ 4 Answers ]

Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and flushed the lines. I have also turned off then on the ice maker switch. No change - still...

Kenmore side by side Fridge icemaker model 106.9557651 [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with my ice maker over filling? I replaced solenoid still havinbg problem.

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light [ 1 Answers ]

Was this issue ever resolved? I have the same problem. LbashabrannerJul 15, 2006, 09:09 PM Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.565624 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and...

View more questions Search