Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Chicken pox
    What is the usual medicaton administered in the case of chicken pox in a 12 year old boy?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
    There is no medication to rid a body of the chicken pox as it is a virus and a virus must run its course.

However, there are many over-the-counter meds that can be used for the itch. Benadryl, Calamine Lotion, Aveeno Oatmeal soap, etc. Just remember never give a child under the age of 16 ASPIRIN as it creates a risk for Reye's Syndrome.

Good luck, I hope your child gets better soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Pox and the Vaccination? [ 2 Answers ]

My son who is 14 1/2 months had what looked like the chicken pox about 3 weeks ago. I took him to the Emergency room and the Doctor there simply looked at them and said it was chicken pox. No blood work was done to confirm. I took him into get his shots and one of them was the Chicken Pox...

Chicken Pox [ 1 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 month old son was exposed to Chicken Pox and I was wondering if I should be worried about it? Thank you for your help

Chicken pox [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 yr old had the chicken pox vaccine. A week ago she developed a headache, high fever for 3 days with a cough and sore throat. The 2nd day red flat bumps appeared on her bottom and legs, she's had about 30 bumps. They swelled and had white heads but never turned in to blisters. The first ones...

Chicken pox or what? [ 24 Answers ]

Well, we have all been sick in some way or another in the last two weeks. I need an opinion of what you think this could be. All 5 kids were sick: 1 was vomitting, had a fever for two days, head throb for a few days, then she was fine. 2 started this whole mess, he had a headache and fever...

Chicken pox [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am pregnant for 4 months and never had chicken pox before. This weekend I am planning to see my teacher who's child has been infected with chicken pox. My teacher has not been infected maybe because she had it before. Now, I worry that my teacher might carry the virus (not infected by...

View more questions Search