Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Biance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Live Lobster Transport
    Does anyone know how live lobsters are transported? I saw a truck with "Live Lobsters" written on it, so I was wondering, does that mean they are in water? Because don't lobsters breathe water?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 3, 2007, 05:53 AM
    Yes, they are transported in sea water.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Lobsters will drown if submerged in non-airated water. They should only have enough water to keep them wet. As a kid growing up in San Diego, I used to catch them and put them in the bottom crisper drawer, along with the crabs I caught. It would really freak my mom out when she opened the drawer and a big crab was staring at her! They would stay alive 2 to 3 days that way.
    The trucks that haul them probably have an airation system as with the tanks you see in restaurants.
    jily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2009, 05:14 AM
    I know of the Companny AQUALIFE - who has created a live shellfish transport solution, based on tanks and container loads being shipped over the atlantic. You can find more information on live lobstor transport here: http://www.aqualife.nu
    truazn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Indeed, the lobsters are usually in live totes (big buckets) that have air stones (aka diffusers) at the bottom of the tote to help the lobsters breath. The diffuster have vinyl tubes that are connected to the trucks that pumps air into them.
    drand10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Lobster can be transported by truck... The lobster needs to be kept moist and cool. You cool them down to like 42-45 degrees, this puts them into a dormant state. This reduces their breathing needs AND it reduces their excriment. Then, use misters to keep them moist. Water tanks are a very expensive way to transport lobster and due to the weight of the water, very limiting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transport Of Frozen Embryos To The Us? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, My wife and I are going abroad (to Cape Town South Africa specifcally) for IVF fertility treatments -- we cannot afford them here. We leave in a few weeks and the procedure will be August 2nd. We expect the procedure will produce "extra" embryos, i.e. beyond those that will be...

Lobster [ 2 Answers ]

How long does it take for a lobster to actually die once you put it in boiling water ?

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Transport hot water heater [ 3 Answers ]

Could a new gas hot water heater ( still in its box) be laying on its side, I will try to bring it home from HD; I asked afew HD people and they said is need to stand upright.. thanks

View more questions Search