Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 05:22 AM
    Neighbor woman harassed family what can I do
    My children and I have been living in fear for 2 years now, a neighbor woman and her 'friends', have stalked, harassed, had property damage, etc... After calling police many times, were told, "get proof", then to "move", OK, now I have proof. And after emotional, financial and physical distress, I am ready to do something about this, her maliscious acts that have caused so much pain, and sickness, so much damage... Where do I go, what can I do? How? No contact order, can I sue? I'm not sue happy, have never done so,, but she hurt my children! cost me so much $$ from hospital bills due to stress, and vehicles damaged,, etc... Police are of no help,. please advise... Thanks so much, stormie:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:00 AM
    Take your evidence to the State Attorney office and file a complaint, if they tell you no, don't take no for and answer.

No one should live in fear.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:04 AM
    stormie, you really need to explain a bit more as to what exactly happened with your children and car, along with the proof that you have in hand, before anyone can give you advice as to what direction to take with this. Counseling you on recourse, really is dependent upon $ amounts that you are out of pocket for, and what exactly the neighbor has done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Please understand that the police can not just go and arrest someone without proof that they are doing it. Record your telephone calls, ( make notice that all are recorded) buy video survellence of your property so that you have proof of what is happening,

Yes you can report it, but the law requires some level of evidence.
    I will give you an example as a police officer in Atlanta, if your car is broken into, or if there is damage to a car, and you did not see it happen, they won't even send a car to take a report, they merely take a report over the phone for your insurance. Just nothing they can do.

You did not say what type of harassment so it is hard to say if they crossed a legal line or not.

But you will need to have a non related witness, video of the events, something for the courts to use to get any relief though the courts.
    stormie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Our cars have been keyed, my daughters car driver mirror was hammered off by her driving by, turned her lights off and smashed her mirror,, property stolen off porch, beeping horns for at least 30 seconds straight between 11pm - 4am... my daughter wouldn't even go out of house anymore because she was always driving by or her friends yelling curse words, etc... throwing fireworks towards my dogs, trash left in yard, I was carried to hospital for stress, against my will, I hate hospitals, my daughter has had to go to counseling, she got so depressed wouldn't couldn't do anything but eat. She's 17. False accusations, found by judge to be untrue, god, 2 yrs, sooo much...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Just so you know you aren't alone in the world. A family in the UK finally got their nasty neighbor put in jail.

The Asbo granny who made our lives a misery | the Daily Mail
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Unfortunately stormie, you haven't given us enough info. Did anyone see your neighbor do any of these things? Can anyone testify to actually seeing them do damage to your cars, throwing trash,.

Your daughter can testify that she is being harassed. You can file for a restraining order. Regarding the cost of hospitalization, you need to show direct proof that the neighbor's actions created a problem. Just becoming stressed out, isn't proof. Having someone break your nose, is. Do you understand what I am saying?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Emland, that was a great article!

Stormie, as you can see from the article, stuff like this is so hard to prosecute. You either need to be vigilant, with the video cameras, keeping logs, getting witnesses, or just give up and move. I am truly sorry you are going through this. It is evident that your neighbor is well aware of the law and is making sure that the damage to your car is not seen by anyone. You can sue, anyone can sue for anything, but the law is very specific about evidence. Unfortunately, the burden of proof is on you. Without having enough evidence to back you up, the police can't do anything and the courts will throw out your case.

I don't know what your money situation is, but you might want to consider hiring a private detective for a few weeks. If your neighbor does this on a continual basis, he/she can gather video evidence, keep notes, and testify for you. It might be something to consider. :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LDS harassment. [ 35 Answers ]

Okay I am at my wits end. I was baptised as a mormon at age 9 or 10 because that is what my mother( the hypocrite) wanted. I was forced to go to church as a child even though at that age I had no real concept of the religion. As I grew up and got married and discovered what the religion was all...

Stalking and harassment [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying desperately to break up with someone who was living with me and not paying bills. He was hired as temporary/part time for my company as one of my assistants to try to make some money. It was an at-will employment status, which means I can get rid of him whenever I choose. He is now...

Harassment Order [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and I are living in a rental home. I've asked him to leave but he won't; he basically says that he'll leave when he gets ready; in the meantime I'm in constant fear. I don't qualify the standard Restraining Order against my husband because he hasn't hit me, attacked me or threatened...

Is it stalking or not? [ 11 Answers ]

Is it considered stalking whenever someone illegally wiretaps your telephone line and announces across it to you who they are and why they're doing it to you? If it is, I guess I'm being stalked and have been now for quite some time. Without going into all the details of the mess I've been...

Ending and Stalking [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with this. I met this guy in a game (sue me) and he was all into me and wanted to meet me IRL (he lives close, within 300 miles). He 'loves me' and so I 'loved him' and then he began talking about serious things: Marriage, sex, babies.. And something else, I'm not even straight. But he...

View more questions Search