Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bond00007777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 10:44 PM
    Immigration status after divorce
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am married for almost 2 years to a lady who is about to migrate to USA on account of her mother sponsorship. I believe it will take another 2-3 months for us (my wife, myself and my 1 month old child) her to reach USA.

In the meantime, there are differences developed in both of us and I can foresee that after reaching USA to her family, she might be more aggressive and the result may be an end to our married life (divorce). We have a child also who is only 1 month old.

My question is what will be my and my son status in USA if we divorce, do I have to come Back to Pakistan or I can stay there legally along with my child?

I would apprecaite your advice.

Thanks and regards
    Asif
    Chris50 Posts: 30, Reputation: 10

May 3, 2007, 09:41 PM
    There are many VISAs you can enter the US on. The B-2 (visitor)is probably the most common. If I understand correctly, your mother in law is filing an "alien relative" VISA for her daughter and in the future, possibly the grandchild. Is your wife and/or mother in law a US citizen? That makes a difference. This is one of the first steps towards citizenship along with a mountain of other forms to be filed later. But what is your VISA status? Visitor? Student? Knowledge is power and there are many formulas the INS uses to determine an individuals filings for status. The INS has a .gov homepage. Check it out. Since you don't know the system, contact a US immigration attorney in your town who can guide you through it. To make the correct decision and complete the necessary forms, you should do this ASAP. Good luck.
    georgew6 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2007, 09:59 PM
    I was in the US government dealing with visas and immigration. Unless the laws have changed radically, you will still be a legal immigrant to the United States even if your wife files for divorce after you arrive in the USA. Just immigrate. Nobody can tell the future and maybe you are just worrying about the big changes coming up now.

Sometimes these changes cause things like family arguments and you feel everything looks bad. Try taking it easy and remember to live in the present. You can plan for the future you want, but it is hard to control the exact outcome, especially when other people are involved.

Good luck and I really hope you and your wife and child, legally immigrating to this great country, will enjoy a wonderful new life. I am sure that things will be solved with time and understanding between you and your wife. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bond00007777
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I am married for almost 2 years to a lady who is about to migrate to USA on account of her mother sponsorship. I believe it wil take another 2-3 months for us (my wife, myself and my 1 month old child) her to reach USA.

In the meantime, there are differences developed in both of us and I can foresee that after reaching USA to her family, she might be more aggressive and the result may be an end to our married life (divorce). We have a child also who is only 1 month old.

My question is what will be my and my son status in USA if we divorce, do I have to come Back to Pakistan or I can stay there legally along with my child?

I would apprecaite your advice.

Thanks and regards
    asif

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Im going through a separation and I need some help understanding where I stand and what I can do as far as removing her legal status. Im married for 3 years and 6 months in Feb. 07, 2003 with a Mexican citizen and for the first two years of marriage I did not submitted her I-130 petition...

Divorce before immigration interview [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US born citizen living in California. I was recently married to a Japanese person and we've been in a legitimate relationship for 5 years. We were married 2 months ago. We are currently in the process of immigration paperwork and have our interview with the Immigration Dept. for her...

Canadian immigration and divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Ive been married to a Canadian for 10 years, we lived in the UK and had 2 children. We decided we wanted a change in lifestyle and decided to sell up and move to BC Canada. Both my young children and wife had Canadian citizenship and moved across to establish our lives. I stayed in the UK to sell...

Divorce and immigration [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have the longest wait time for legal paperwork to get done... it's been two years and still waiting. However, I do not want to stay married, and while we were married legitimately, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can get a legal separation without screwing up his...

View more questions Search