Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marcusstorm Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

May 2, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Does anyone understand
    I understand that this question is pretty stupid and is probably a waste of everyone's time but I was wondering why there are such courses like 'how to choose a tv' I can sort of understand when people really don't know and refuse to be ripped off, but isn't it just a waste of a course that could be teahcing us about The problem with Foster Care, or Africa...
    Does anyone understand where I am coming from?
    Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 09:25 AM
    The reason why there are such courses is that there is a demand for them. Colleges operate in a competitive market place, and so they need to offer courses that are attractive to prosepctive incoming students so that they can attract the customers they want.

The main purpose of an undergraduate education is to prepare people for life, both professionally and personally, and so it is certainly appropriate to offer courses in the area of personal finance. "How to buy a TV" seems like a bit of a stretch, but I would hope it offers some insights into new technologies and consumer behavior.
    krystal1973 Posts: 100, Reputation: 22

May 3, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Of course it's a waste of time, just as well as taking a science or math or US History class is in a degree program that has nothing to do with the courses. Its part of the college life and they have to have classes for the football players to take, so that they can remain in college.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 11:02 AM
    I sincerely hope you are trying to be bitingly sarcastic. Otherwise, I would have to think that you believe that arts courses serve no purpose to an engineer. Or that history courses serve no purpose to the math major. Or that every college football player (or basketball player or lacrosse player or field hockey player or swimmer or whatever sport you want to put in here) has no need of a traditional higher education because they are going to go on to play in the major league equivalent of their sport after college, and will never need to know things like history, math, arts, and culture, just in case they have to fall back into a second career like being a business executive or being a teacher or a father or a mother or simply a well-rounded individual. And if I thought that, then I would think very little of you, indeed.

May 3, 2007, 12:26 PM
    No actually I was joking.. about the football players. I went to a major university who was very big on football. I like messin with the guys there who really really would rather be playing football than being in class. I am not saying that football doesn't make them well rounded in itself. But really there are some classes that I have taken that haven't been helpful in my degree for me. Of course I wanted to take the gravy classes If I had the opportunity. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with it anyway.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by krystal1973
    I like messin with the guys there who really really would rather be playing football than being in class.
    Thank you so much for clearing that up. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 3, 2007, 12:33 PM
    The main reason a lot of those courses are offered, and in some instances required, is so that the student is well-rounded in all areas of education, not specifically their major.

In this way, if a student decides to change their major, many of these credits will transfer to the other courses.

But a class in "How to choose a TV" sounds utterly ridiculous to me.

May 3, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Some classes do sound ridiculous but.. I suppose there needs to be something for everyone. And just like with all classes, or electives, if enough people do not take the class the class is usually not offered again. I hear jokes a lot about "underwater basketweaving".. Was this ever really a class offered because I actually have searched for it and can't find it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't understand? [ 9 Answers ]

Help Please! A few months ago my husband and I began trying to conceive. My cycle were always pretty normal before about 28-32 days. Now all of a sudden since we have been having unprotected sex they have completely flipped. They are only 20 days apart and not normal. Before I would start heavy and...

I don't understand her [ 6 Answers ]

hey :( yes i need help to understand her !!!! she tell me she loves me but she scared to hurt me :( but i love her and i want to be whit her and she tell me she wants too but she got a bf and i dunno what she gonna do so if anywone got advice it would help allot thanks:confused:

I don't understand [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my girl had an argument on Thursday night and I didn't think we'd talk for a week or so, then she called Sunday while I was out with my roommate getting lunch and when I got back and was checking my messages, she wanted to know if I wanted to hang out Sunday afternoon/night. While I was...

I understand, but what do I do now? [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, sorry if this is a bit lengthy... Well, my girlfriend had just broken up with me after about 6 months. We fell in love with each other from almost day 1. We connected strongly on every level, we were both very attracted to each other physically, connected amazingly on an emotional level...

Just don't understand [ 2 Answers ]

I am an independent 22 yr old male college student who goes to school full-time. I also work two jobs and between them make over $20,000/yr. I have done this for the last year and a half. Now my question is, even though I have have extra money taken out of every paycheck, my state and federal...

View more questions Search