Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SmilingLady Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Can't connect
    Desktop connects by USB cable via wireless cable modem. Laptop connects wirelessly to internet via the same wireless cable modem. I've tried networking them using Windows network expert, but neither one will ping the other and I can's see either from the other computer. I am using the same workgroup and othewise followed the protocol but obviously I'm missing something.

I tried a secondary program in place of the windows program, and it did at least show both computers connected - but I still couldn't share printer or files even though they are set to be shared on both computers. And, the software screwed up a bunch of other stuff on both computers so I had to uninstall it

Any ideas?
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

May 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmilingLady
    Desktop connects by USB cable via wireless cable modem. Laptop connects wirelessly to internet via the same wireless cable modem. I've tried networking them using Windows network expert, but neither one will ping the other and I can's see either from the other computer. I am using the same workgroup and othewise followed the protocol but obviously I'm missing something.

I tried a secondary program in place of the windows program, and it did at least show both computers connected - but I still couldn't share printer or files even though they are set to be shared on both computers. And, the software screwed up a bunch of other stuff on both computers so I had to uninstall it

Any ideas?
    MS's P2P File & Print Sharing is poor, at best. With that said, the WorkGroup name must be identical on all NW'd computers, F&PSharing (or equiv) must be enabled on all PCs, a file, folder a/o printer must be config'd to share, duplicate login names should be on both the "client" PCs and host/sharing PC. It is recommended you install MS's NetBIOS (over TCP/IP) protocol on the PCs... If all PCs are one the same subnet, the F&P share "should" work...

Of course, it works best when there is a full moon...

P2E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect 2 PC [ 1 Answers ]

I've 2 PC, both running WindowsXP. Two different Administrators.Using crossover UTP cable how can I connect them in a LAN. No other PC are there.Step by step .

Not Being Able To Connect [ 1 Answers ]

Facing prob when I'm trying to connect web through mobile phone . Prob is a fax modem already there in the laptop. So when trying with datacable its showing error messege "this modem is used by another usser" Please make the solution fast. That I can logon through the mobile phone Thanks

Can't connect [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a problem getting my Browser to connect to the internet. I am using my wife's computer right now. I don't know what could have happened as earlier I was surfing the net (I was even logged in to this site) when all of a sudden everything went blank. I have tried connecting with IE,...

Can't connect [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to connect directly to my cable modem. I setup a wireless network and it was working fine but then I started having problems. I then decided to reset and reconfigure my router but when I tried to connect directly to my modem, it either didn't show the connection or it said that I have...

View more questions Search