Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Quiet but chatty member
    Why am I so quiet?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Hammy, you are anything but quiet here. :)

Are you quiet at home? With your family? With your friends?

May 2, 2007, 03:30 PM
    I'm not quiet at home, I'm not quiet with my family, I'm quiet everywhere else except here!
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:34 PM
    So, you are saying that you are not quiet here or with your family. You are quiet in school? You are quiet around people your own age?

May 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    So, you are saying that you are not quiet here or with your family. You are quiet in school? You are quiet around people your own age?
    Yeah, I'm saying that. Yes, I'm quiet in school around people around my own age.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Well, not being able to see you interact with people on a daily basis, it is very hard for anyone to explain why you are so quiet. I think you may know the reason yourself. Do they make you uncomfortable? Explain to me what you feel when you are in a social situation.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:40 PM
    There is nothing wrong with being quiet. As long as you voice your opinion when it is needed!

May 2, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Well, not being able to see you interact with people on a daily basis, it is very hard for anyone to explain why you are so quiet. I think you may know the reason yourself. Do they make you uncomfortable? Explain to me what you feel when you are in a social situation.

I don't know, I feel like... listening. I do have a few ideas for why I'm so quiet. It could be that I'm shy. It also could be that I'm serious and quiet, and everyone else is outgoing. It could be that I couldn't hear conversations that well as a kid, so I might feel left out. Could those be reasons for why I'm so quiet?

May 2, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    There is nothing wrong with being quiet. As long as you voice your opinion when it is needed!
    I agree, but what about when you're so quiet, that other people have a hard time hearing you?
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Skell, my dear, what a nice surprise! Hammy, Skell has a point. Have you ever heard the expression, "Still waters run deep?" Sometimes it is better to be quiet than too chatty. When you are like that, people have a tendency to listen to you more when you do decide to speak. ;)

I think all the reasons you listed are reasons for being quiet. It sounds like shyness is more the problem for you. Do you feel unsure of yourself around others? Worried about what people may think or say? So, maybe you think it would be better not to say anything because you think they will make fun of you? Does that kind of stuff run through your mind when you are around other people your age?

May 2, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Skell, my dear, what a nice surprise! Hammy, Skell has a point. Have you ever heard the expression, "Still waters run deep?" Sometimes it is better to be quiet than too chatty. When you are like that, people have a tendency to listen to you more when you do decide to speak. ;)

I think all the reasons you listed are reasons for being quiet. It sounds like shyness is more the problem for you. Do you feel unsure of yourself around others? Worried about what people may think or say? So, maybe you think it would be better not to say anything because you think they will make fun of you? Does that kind of stuff run through your mind when you are around other people your age?
    I do worry about what people might think or say but I don't think they'd made fun of me. In fact, I can't remember being made fun of these last two years. I DO remember feeling like an idiot, though.
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Hammy, sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. What you are describing is VERY typical of people your age. We all go through that when we are teenagers. It is part of the search to find our voice, find out who we are. We are self-conscious that people will dismiss what we say as idiotic or not important enough, when it is important to us. I will let you in on a secret. The kids your age, all feel the same way. Some just hide it better than the rest, that is all. When you get older, you realize that you don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks. It is part of maturing and finally knowing who you are. So, get a jump on the rest of them and speak up. No one is better than anyone else. And, anyone who tries to convince you otherwise, is the idiot. President Bush may be the President, celebrities may be famous, but I KNOW that I am no less important than they are in this world. In my immediate world, I am more important than they are because I have control over what I do and say. I have control over how I interact with others. Therefore, how I conduct myself, how I express myself, is very important to the people around me. I am more important in my friend's, family's, neighbor's,. world, than anyone famous that they do not know.

May 2, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Really? That's news to me! Thanks for the advice. I [I]really[I] appreciate it. I'll try and "speak up" tomorrow.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
    You probably won't believe me when I tell you I am a very quiet person in real life. I am chatty with family and coworkers I know, but around strangers and in crowds I don't talk much. I observe and listen.

I am more comfortable with the written word where I can backspace or delete the whole post unlike the spoken word.

May 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    You probably won't believe me when I tell you I am a very quiet person in real life. I am chatty with family and coworkers I know, but around strangers and in crowds I don't talk much. I observe and listen.

I am more comfortable with the written word where I can backspace or delete the whole post unlike the spoken word.
    Really? I pretty much do the same thing, except the talking to coworkers part.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Just so that you don't feel so bad,
    I have the exact opposite problem, but let me assure you, the way
    I ALWAYS end up sticking my foot in my BIG mouth, makes me feel
    Just as bad as you feel about being quiet...

Ruby had some great words of wisdom...

So really, try not to be so hard on yourself.
    Look at the positive... You have the ability to be quiet, listen and think before you speak...
    That's a great quality to have!
    Just turn up the volume a little bit...

Kae

May 3, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Thanks for the advice, everybody! I really appreciate it. I'll turn up the volume... when I get the chance( I'm not in school right now).
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Good for you Hammy! You don't have to ramble on like I do :p, but speak up when you have something to say. Turn the volume up as Akae suggests. You are a smart kid. I am sure that you are interesting to listen to. Just have a little faith in yourself and your knowledge.

May 3, 2007, 07:51 AM
    My luck is changing... Today's the day I become a full member! What d'ya know?
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Congratulations! Yes, I believe you are right. Your luck is changing.

I think that entitles you to free housesitting by our Excon. I believe when I became an ultra member he offered to mow my lawn. :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a quiet title in AR [ 1 Answers ]

What is a quiet title in AR.

A quiet boyfriend [ 3 Answers ]

I have been seeing a man for two years now, but he doesn't want to go anywhere public. He says he doesn't want to show his kids that he is dating anyone because their mother did that, his exwife, and it hurt them badly. I have gone along with it because I didn't really want to be in a serious...

Quiet Title [ 1 Answers ]

Under what circumstances would you purchase real estate with only a Quiet Title? I mean how credible is Quiet Title?

Keeping Quiet [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not a depressed person. I have some issues with my personal life and all I have are friends and family to talk to. For every argument I have with my boyfriend, I make a point to tell a friend, or maybe even two. Sometimes I feel that I tell people too much and they could judge me or my...

My dog is too quiet [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: we have a miniature dachshund that is 1 year old. He is usually very active but just recently he was said to have fleas. Now he is unusually quite and just not himself. He sleeps a lot and is not as active as usual(doesnt want to go for walks, play(etc.) We took him to the vet and took...

View more questions Search