Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cajz14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 10:31 AM
    Smartest of the smarts, please help me!!
    A hinge is supporting a door that is hanging down from it (think of a doggie door). When a wind is blowing at the top of the hinge at a constant 11 m/s the door is perfectly horizontal (in the beginning it was perfectly vertical with no wind). If a wind of 11 m/s is needed to rotate the door on the hinge 90 degrees, how fast should the wind blow for the door to rotate only 30 degrees? No weight or length is given and the hinge is frictionless. Again, the wind is blowing at the top of the hinge, not directly at the door. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 03:53 PM
    I'm not sure I understand what the situation is. The wind is blowing at the top of the hinge only? I don't think that would do anything to the door...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2005, 09:07 PM
    Yeah makes no sense.

Force need to act upon door, not hinge
    Wuerschti Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 06:30 PM

Well if the wind blows on the hinge... which makes little sense... you are going to use leverage

Lever arm(length) multiplied by force of wind which will give you the torque on the door.
    BUT

I think you meant the wind is blowing at the bottom of the door. Lever arm would be length of door plus radius of hinge multiplied by wind

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search