Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martuff70 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 10:09 AM
    Installing office in XP
    I purchased a new laptop that came with windows XP professional. The first time I logged on to the internet, I used Windows update and installed all the updates. Then, I inserted my Office XP cd and got this message. "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable." Can someone tell me what is happening?
    Dreamboat Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 01:20 PM
    Might want to try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296603/
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2005, 03:47 PM
    Another possibility is that your new PC came with a trial version of Office and that install log is interfering. You might want to uninstall the trial.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Apr 7, 2005, 07:31 AM
    More
    Copy all of the office files from the Cd to a folder on the HD, then go to start/run and run the setup or install file from that folder, then only try installing 1 thing from office like, maybe excel or powerpoint, then after its installed and working, go back and insert your Office Cd, choose update or add whatever option it gives and then install the other office programs you need.
    martuff70 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Answer
    Thanks Wendy. It worked.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2005, 07:08 AM
    Office
    Very good Wendy. Great suggestion!!
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms Office [ 3 Answers ]

Hi when I try to open a word file its taking a long time for it to open as it says its scanning for virus.. its taking almost 2 minutes for a file to open. It happens with the smallest size of word document

Office 300 [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I have Office 3000 for a 60 day free trial with my computer - I had to do a system restore last week and ever since then I keep getting a pop up box trying to install Office 3000 - then I get an error message - a required installation file SKU112.CAB could not be found - it tells me to...

Problem installing Office 2003 SP2 [ 6 Answers ]

When I check the system properties on my computer (Dell Dimension 4600 w/Windows XP) it says Home Edition 2002, Service Pack 2 but when I try to download upgrades from Microsoft, I get a message that says "Office 2003 Security Pack 2 not installed". I've tried to download it several times but get...

Xp Office [ 5 Answers ]

I have an Me Operating system and I`m trying to install the Microsoft Xp Office. It is installed successfully but as I reboot the installation is lost.When I click on the shortcut for either Word,exel or Powerpoint ,I always get the massage `This action only valid for products that are currently...

Problem Installing Office 2000 [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently re-installed Win 98 (ancient - I know!) and I have no Office software installed. I then went to install office 2000 and the autorun brings up the Windows Installer screen with the message "Preparing to install". It then disappears and nothing else happens. Can anybody help me with...

View more questions Search