Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spocko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2004, 08:07 AM
    Hard drive problem
    Hi
    I have a Pentium II,333MHZ and am trying to install a 40GB hard drive. It gets detected as slave no problem but when I set the jumper to master it doesn't get detected as master. On boot up I get a message saying there is no primary master. The system knows it's there and recognizes the full 40 GB but not as master. It's A Maxtor drive and I used their program to install it. Any help is appreciated.

psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 20, 2004, 06:13 PM
    Re: Hard drive problem
    Hi
    I have a Pentium II,333MHZ and am trying to install a 40GB hard drive. It gets detected as slave no problem but when I set the jumper to master it doesn't get detected as master. On boot up I get a message saying there is no primary master. The system knows it's there and recognizes the full 40 GB but not as master. It's A Maxtor drive and I used their program to install it. Any help is appreciated.

Try hooking up the former master as slave and see if it is detected.
    racerdog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2004, 02:00 PM
    Hard drive problem
    Be sure the cable is attached with the correct fitting. Changing the disk jumper only identifies the disk to itself, e.g. Master or Slave. A master MUST be connected at the end of the ATA cable. A slave is attached in the middle. So the cable must be attached an the correct jumper setting set for the computer to be able to see it. On installing a new drive you should boot to the system BIOS first and see if the system sees the drive before proceeding to configuring the operating system the drive is to work with.

Good luck!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 12, 2004, 12:25 PM
    Re: Hard drive problem
    Also, be sure you are using the actual master setting ofr the jumper and not the "single" setting. I have seen some drives actually labeled wrong before, and I have no idea why. Single is usually when the jumper is off or across two pins horizontally, and master and slave are usually across two pins vertically.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Booting from Hard Drive problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've never encountered this problem before. I have an external hard drive connected to my desktop computer. Every time it restarts it refuses to do so unless the external hard drive is off. It says that it is, "unable to boot from drive." Is there any other way I can turn this desire of...

Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data [ 10 Answers ]

G'day All, I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win...

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search