Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yoly1572 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
    New Jersey tenant laws
    I live in an apartment and when I moved in I was aware I had to pay for my own utilities (gas, electric and water). I just recently found out he put my name on the sewer bill and that if it's not paid there will be a lien on the property so he keeps harassing me to pay it. I'm not sure if this is even my responsibility? How do I find out if I'm responsible for the bill and if I'm only paying for my apartment or the whole building?

Thank you,
    Yolanda
    KSgonzo78 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yoly1572
    I live in an apartment and when I moved in I was aware I had to pay for my own utilities (gas, electric and water). I just recently found out he put my name on the sewer bill and that if it's not paid there will be a lein on the property so he keeps harrassing me to pay it. I'm not sure if this is even my responsibility? How do I find out if I'm responsible for the bill and if I'm only paying for my apartment or the whole building?

Thank you,
    yolanda
    In the state of NJ, legally the landlord has to supply water and it defiantly should NOT be in your name. You pay to heat the water that belongs to YOUR apt since you are resp. for your electric and gas but that it it. Your name MUST be removed from that water bill and how dare the landlord do such a thing, he should know better. Look up NJ landlord/tenant laws, I'm from NJ myself, trust me on this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant obligations in New Jersey? [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a private house in New Jersey. Since the temperature has dropped drastically, the house has been very cold. I told the owner and asked for help. The owner after a few weeks finally came by the house and after a long talk, the owner told us that there was nothing that he could do, but...

Tenant Laws, etc... [ 3 Answers ]

I just recently leased an apartment in the Boston area. The apartment is heated by oil and I’m currently having a dispute with the prior tenant about oil reimbursement. I initially looked at the apartment solo and when it was shown to me, nothing was mentioned regarding the oil. When my roommate...

New jersey tenant [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into a 2 bedroom apt that already had 1 tenant living there. We never signed a lease but paid the rent 50/50 each month by sending in separate checks. She moved out and did not find a replacement roommate and now the landlord is saying that I owe the last two months FULL rent (I was...

View more questions Search