Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinapoli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Relinquish parental rights
    His ex-girlfriend is trying to get more money out of him for child support. He is already tapped out. He feels if he gives her any more money he won't have anything to give his little girl when he has her. He feels that if she gets more money out of him that he will have to give his daughter up and relinquish his parental rights to the mom because he simply can't afford to give her more money and survive. Are there any suggestions out there for my friend who needs advice?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 08:30 PM
    What are you talking about, why do you believe that "giving up rights" means you don't have to pay child support, one has nothing at all to do with the other. Giving up his rights merely means he can not see the child, he can not have any say in the raising of the child,
    But he still has to pay all of his obligations, child support, court ordered health insurance and the such. Only if the ex would marry and someone wanted to adopt the child, would the child support stop.

So are you saying his love for his child has a price? That he would rather not see his child to save some money ? I will not go with an opinoin of that, but what he needs is an attorney and have the court set the proper child support due, using the state required formula.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

May 1, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Is there a court order? If not, get one. If so, he can gave it modified and decreased upon the birth of another child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 09:40 PM
    With respect to vlee answer, that will depend on where you live, in many places the entire amount you pay is based on only the non custodial parent salary. Not the number of additional children but your state may,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish Parental Rights [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son that I have had custody of, he has been ticketed and arrested 3 times in the past 4 months for drug usage and has had my now 10 year old try marijuana, I have sent him to live with Dad since this last arrest. I do not want my son to return to my home, I am afraid my...

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

Relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My step son-in-law says he is going to give up complete rights to his children. The mother would have sole responsibility. Can he do that in Mississippi?

Voluntary relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I separated years ago, and during the separation, I lived with another man and we now have a six year old. My husband has since divorced me, and we never claimed my son during the divorce, we need to know how to go about getting his rights voluntarily relinquished, and have my son's...

Father wants to relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. My daughter is almost 6 years old. Her biological father has not seen her since she was 12 days old but he has been paying child support for about 6 months now. I've been remarried for 4 1/2 years and my daughter has known my new husband as her father since she was 7...

View more questions Search