Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andikittens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Young kitten with fleas + Pet dust?
    A friend gave me a kitten he rescued the other day. I'm assuming it's about 3-4 weeks old. It has a bad case of fleas and I used some pet dust that I have on it without really thinking. What can the side effects of this be? :confused:
    tigerfeather Posts: 26, Reputation: 6

May 1, 2007, 10:05 PM
    You need to thoroughly wash the kitten as soon as possible. It's very easy to kill a kitten with flea medication when they are too young. Did you use dust designed for dogs? If you did, you need to call a vet for treatment.

If the kitten starts to drool profusely, twitch, or even worse, go into grand mal seizures, you need to take him to an emergency vet as soon as possible.

This is pretty serious. Make sure you get him as clean as possible. Good luck.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 1, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Not to negate what tigerfeather has suggested, but I would take the kitten to the vet as soon as possible regardless of fleas or not since you have spoken about the kitten being "rescued." It would just be good, common sense to have the animal checked out by a veterinarian.

Also, I used flea powder for felines on one of my cats that had gotten outdoors. He kept trying to clean the powder off, and ended up throwing up all over the place. Obviously, it had made him sick.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

May 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
    All of the above AND know this-any time you use a powder or chemical, etc and need info fast-there is alsways a 1-800 number on the product itself to call for help.
    If the little guy is 4w, he would be having trouble eating solid food so hopefully, he is just a "little" 6w old. Revolution is a great product for cats at this age-it kills fleas and deworms for intestinal parasites that kittens are born with. Check with the vet!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buzzing furnace and a lot of dust [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Bryant Quietline Deluxe furance model 397EAW036100. I have been told it's between 20 to 30 years old. It makes a loud buzzing noise when it kicks on and then the blower will start. The noise continues until the flames stop, but the blower will continue for about a minute or so then...

My 3 week old kitten has fleas help! [ 10 Answers ]

Hiya my kittens have just caught fleas off a homeless cat I took in and because there so young I don't know what to do I hate fleas there horrible I've just done all my older cats with bobmartin back of the neck stuff but powders and things say not to be used until 12 weeks etc what can I use?...

Unique pet names for a kitten [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I'm new. I was looking for pet names when I found this site. I was wondering if anyone had any or could come up with any ideas on pet names for a cat, with ice cream being the topic, that are unique, that you wouldn't mind me considering for my new kitten. She is calico with short hair. I've...

6 week old kitten with fleas [ 11 Answers ]

Our new kitten came home with fleas! The vet applied a topical to him, and we were told to vacuum and wash everything he came into contact with. He has been at our house only 36 hours and was in one room- we have done all that the vet told us to do-- will this solve the problem, do you know? ...

Dust falling from ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with what appears to be Sheetrock dust covering everything in my condo. I clean everything up but after a day the dust is back. It is difficult to breathe and I am trying to figure out a way to determine what this dust is or to get stop it from falling from the ceiling. I...

View more questions Search