Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raj71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2005, 10:15 PM
    1099-MISC Spouse worked from home for 2 months
    1. We are filing married jointly.
    2. I have a regular job and get W2... no problem on that end:)
    3. Spouse did consulting for a company for 2 months in year 2004 (wrote some computer
    Programs from home). She got a 1099-MISC from the company she conuslted for. The income is reported on --- NonEmployee Compensation Box 7.

Where do we show this income? Turbo Tax automatically puts it in Schedule in Section C... and asks for Business Name etc. She does not own any business . The idea is to pay off the taxes on the check she got. There were no expenses doing that job.

Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Raj71:

The business name is her name. The business address is your home.

She did have expenses. I assume she wrote the computer program on a computer. If so, a prorated share of the cost of the computer, monitor, printer, computer desk and desk chair can be claimed as a legitimate business expense. If she used the Internet for research or to consult in writing the program, the same proration applies for the cost of your ISP. If she did any printing, the same proration applies for the cost of the printing cartridge and paper.

You can also write off a portion of your home if you can identify the part of the house she did the work in as a home office.

How much money are we talking about on your W-2 and her Form 1099-MISC? This is needed because she is paying income taxes at your marginal tax rate. Further, she owes 15.3% of every dollar over $400 as self-employment taxes, plus whatever the state income tax may be. Depending on your location and tax bracket, you may owe up to 50% of her 1099 income in taxes.

Depnding on how much money we are talking, you may want to see a tax pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-MISC and w2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife both were on H1 last year. I had 2 W2s last year, and my wife was working as a contractor for the first 3 months last year and then she was on a W2 for the rest of the year. She got a 1099-MISC from the contractor for the first three months of last year. Could you tell me...

1099-Misc [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I received both W2 and 1099-Misc forms from two different employers I am using Taxengine online software, and the question is where to report the 1099-Misc income: Schedule C ? Schedule E ? Schedule F ? Form 4835 ? Form 1040, line 21 ?

1099-Misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Last Year I worked part-time and my Non-employee compensations was $1610.35(1099-Misc). I worked partly from home on my computer, and part of the work was at an office on a computer. My question is: What are the deductions I can claim on this non-employee compensation of $1610.35. Thanks for...

1099-MISC without SSN [ 8 Answers ]

I know this ? Has probably been answered here before but here it is again: My very small business paid an independent contractor over $600 in 2005. We have the person's address but either never got the SSN or have lost it. This person, when contacted, is refusing to give us the SSN. Can we file...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

View more questions Search