Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luv4mysolider Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Whose responsible for Utility increases due to repair?
    Hi,

I'm curious if anybody knows what the law in Alabama is or if you can direct me to the right people to call to find out what the rule is about repairs and the increased bills due to it.

Example; We had a water leak that we noticed a couple months ago. We attempted to contact our landlord for over a week and when we finally got an answer there was many failed attempts before we actually got it repaired. Due to this and it being a "hot water" leak both our water bill and electricity bills increased and I had no choice but to pay this in order to keep everything on for my three little children.

Now this month, without even warning, I receive a $165 Water bill!! I only am budgeted to spend the typical $38, and my husband is out of country on deployment.. The water authority was rude to me and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. This place is draining us though with the consequences of repairs! We haven't even recovered from the other unexpected money yet. Doesn't the landlord have to take some responsibility in this?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Where was the leak exactly? Was it somewhere that had a shutoff valve?

You might consider just bringing this up to the landlord and see what they say since they took so long to respond before going to a lawyer or making a complaint.

May 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Where was the leak exactly? Was it somewhere that had a shutoff valve?

You might consider just bringing this up to the landlord and see what they say since they took so long to respond before going to a lawyer or making a complaint.

The first time no. It was under the manufactured home on the pipe that goes from the water heater to the laundry connection. We even took it upon ourselves to wet vac it up consistently and keep it dry.

The second time, who knows? I didn't even know there was a leak. Water company just told me there has to be one that I used 39,000 gallons this month but it's always hard to tell because we have sitting water all the time around here.

I'm lost on what to do. I'm miserable here and there always seems to be something wrong. My son's light went out and I went to change it and when I went to remove the light fixture it literally just fell apart in my hands and crumbled. The ceiling fixture in his room was PLASTIC and had literally just dried out from being heated for so long. I don't have the money or manpower to afford the move though until husband returns. I need a short/long term solution to this. We have dealt with many of the smaller issues ourselves and out of our pocket just to not be bothered. We have replaced door handles on ALL the doors because when we moved here... one by one they all literally just fell apart. When we moved in there was verbal agreements that back steps would be put out so the kids would be able to go out the back door, the land would be cleared so we would have more land, and a outdoor water spicket would be located and re-installed. So far, NONE of these have been done. The lady is super nice in every aspect but living up to her end. I feel awful but I just can't do it anymore...
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Well, the landlord unfortunately can't be held responsible until the time they are made aware of the damaged pipes, once you notified them you would have a case to demand they repay you for the water wasted after that point.

A good first step is to send them a registered letter stating there was a water leak, you advised them onn day x they didn't have it repaired till day y and you think they should pay a portion of the monthly bill because of their delay.

They can't be made to pay the whole thing as they can't fix something they don't know is broken. If they don't respond to your letter, call your local housing commission.

May 1, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Well, the landlord unfortunately can't be held responsible until the time they are made aware of the damaged pipes, once you notified them you would have a case to demand they repay you for the water wasted after that point.

A good first step is to send them a registered letter stating there was a water leak, you advised them onn day x they didnt have it repaired till day y and you think they should pay a portion of the monthly bill because of their delay.

They can't be made to pay the whole thing as they can't fix something they dont know is broken. If they dont respond to your letter, call your local housing commision.

If I am solely responsible for these utility increases every time something breaks, is there a way for me to legally get out of this money pit? I'm not sure if I can still use my husband for the soldier's law now or not. He's been gone two months.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

May 1, 2007, 02:20 PM
    My experience is that when the water company is made aware of a leak, they often adjust the bill... write them and provide the information on what happened and ask for a reduction...

May 1, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm
    My experience is that when the water company is made aware of a leak, they often adjust the bill....write them and provide the information on what happened and ask for a reduction.......

I already contacted them and they said they will only do something if it's on their end and not the properties. They said I could extend it for a $5 fee and I told her no thank you. Doesn't matter if we don't eat now or don't eat later. It has to be paid, might as well get it out of the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I Really Responsible? [ 14 Answers ]

I apologize for being so long winded I just want to make sure that you guys/gals have a good understanding what is going on. I have a 15 year old son that is currently in the youth home with NO set release date. He was placed in the youth home after his mother filed for incurability in October of...

Be responsible. [ 2 Answers ]

There are several questions here that disturbs me. I won't be trying to help. Having a dog carries responsibilities. Female dog owners are particularly responsible to either spay the dog by 6 months or educate themselves to avoid the irresponsible breeding that leads to the misery of unwanted...

Hair Salon Price Increases [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a salon owner and we are going to be doing our first price increase (annual). Any advice in what way to determine a formula for the increase? The salon is a hair and nail salon. The nail prices are in line with our area. The hair prices are on the lower end of our area.:o

Deg of myopia increases in adolescence [ 1 Answers ]

If a person in adolescence has myopia, his eyeball will increase in size and the degrees of myopia will increase.If he protects his eyes very well, then, how many degrees of myopia will his eyes increase AT LEAST, and when will this increase stop ( At the age of what )? ??

View more questions Search