Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mustangjess1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Reproductive System
    Okay... so I'm curious. The life span of the ovarian corpus luteum is extended for about 3 months after implantation, but otherwise it deteriorates. Why? And why should the corpus luteum remain functional following implanation? Can somebody please "dummie" this down in a way that I can understand?

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 1, 2007, 12:34 PM
    I will try to 'dummie' it down, because I found your question interesting so went searching, read a lot and in a nutshell it is:

******In most mammals the fertilised egg develops quickly into an embryo and implants, forming a placental link with the mother, around about 14 days. During this 14 day period, prior to implantation, the embryo needs 'nutrition' in order to develop and survive. This is provided by the corpus luteum in the form of the release of the hormone progesterone.

I hope that explains it and apparently when the progesterone is no longer needed, either is the corpus luteum.

Biologists are still trying to determine just exactly what it is, does, where it goes, but no one as yet as come up with those answers, but for the time being, I think the one above will suffice... I hope... good luck :)
    mustangjess1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Thanks tickle... that makes it much easier to understand! I'm glad you took the time to help explain this to me! :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Very good question!!

My Anatomy & Physiology professor expained it as the corpeus luteum is similar to the yolk in an egg. As the zygote matures to an embryo it needs nourshment in which it gets from the corpeus luteum.

The rest is EXACTLY as Tickle described it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System) [ 5 Answers ]

How much it cost to repair this on a 98 Honda Accord? P1457 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Detected (Control Canister System)

Smoke extract system & staircase press. System [ 2 Answers ]

I am working for a 35 storey tower. There are smoke extract and staircase/lift lobby pressurisation system in case of fire. Now consultant has already given the CFM required for these Fans, but I have to submit the calculations for the same to the Local Govt. authority. So please help me if...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

New System [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone have a suggestion for minimum specs for a new business PC? Small business running Office and Quickbooks and tons of pictures for reproduction, Adobe Photoshop? Want a screaming desktop! I have one in mind, but am unsure of myself.

View more questions Search