Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Ex Husband resides in my home with no rent, contract or lease
    I divorced my husband of 15 year last year and was awarded the house and some furnishings etc. He shortly thereafter was put on administrative leave without pay from his job and I allowed him to come and stay with us. He has had no income since Nov 06. I have paid all the bills, food, car payments, insurance and literally everything since he moved in Sep 06. He paid for a bit of his own bills like his car payment when he was getting a check. He has not paid for any child support since he has not had a paycheck. Anyway, I allowed him to come and stay with us in my home as a guest but I had no idea how long he would need to stay. He has no lease and stays without paying anything. My question is this: someone told me that I can't just kick him out. I have to give him notice. I don't know if this is true or not but the thought of this really scares me because I don't trust that he won't use that law to his benefit. I am trying to only give the important details and not mutter this up with personal events not really relevant. Since he does not pay anything and he does not have a lease, can I tell him to leave at any time? He is only living because of the good grace of me otherwise he would be out on the street. The house and all the bills are in my name and paid by me. The food and everything that I provide is through me. Please let me know what the law said about this. When we were married and he would act crazy, the cops said I could not have him leave because it was our home and now I feel, I may be trapped again.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

May 1, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Things were different when you were married. I think you may have to give notice, but the law will be on your side. Since you are not married and it is not his house, if he stays longer than the notice, he is tresspassing.

Best thing to do is to speak to an attorney to make sure what I'm saying is accurate. But I don't think you'll have any trouble giving your deadbeat mooch of an ex the boot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

Bounce rent check / breech of lease [ 4 Answers ]

Hello - I am a little confused on what I need to do. I am the landlord and I have a one year lease with this tenant that is effective till 8/31/07. Problem #1 one the lease the date was written out incorrectly - the realtor wrote lease is to start on 8/31/06 and ends 9/1/06. :confused:...

Lease terms, Rent and Concesse [ 2 Answers ]

I have rented an apartment and the expiration date of it is on Feb.28th, 2007 and on Jan.23rd, 2007, I received a letter from the lessor saying that my rental is going to increase then on Jan.27th, 2007 I sent my Notice of Vacate, my contract is 6 months basis, Now I am in a hard situation based on...

Rent payment when lease goes into different month? [ 8 Answers ]

My lease is up December 10. However we pay rent on the third. If I'm planning on moving by the date my lease is up do I still have to pay rent for December? I don't believe I should have to.

View more questions Search